Hard drive regularly losing space

R

RSN

Hi,

I'm finding that every day, when I check how much space I have available on my hard drive, Windows Explorer tells me I have about 200MB less than the day before. I am meant to have 10GB available, but one time it came down to less than 2GB, but the suddenly the next day went back up to 10GB. Currently it is going down again, and is at about 8GB, shrinking.

Also when I delete a program through Control Panel\Add Remove Programs, it doesn't give the space back that the program was occupying.

Could it be a virus? If so, do you any suggestions which one?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestion. However I have now checked the description of the Benjamin virus on the Symantec web page, and the signs they mention for recgnising its presence are not there. They say that in the registry, under:

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

there should be an entry:

system-service c:\%system%\explorer.scr

But there is no such entry in the registry.

I must admit I have used Kazaa quite a bit, so when I read Symantec’s description of how the virus is spread through Kazaa I thought it might be Benjamin, but now it seems it isn’t.

Thank you for the suggestion though. Any other suggestions.

System Restore mayyyyy be enabled....

You may have "System Restore" Set to quite high and therefore eating up valuable hardrive space to "Backup" windows...

Right Click My Computer...
Properties
Select tab: System Restore

and either decrease the setting or turn it off completely...

see if that solves the problem...

when you bootup do you get any msg saying there is iminent HDD failure or anything of the sort...

to see fluctuations of 8 gigs is odd... specially if not benjamin...

you have run scandisk I presume and found no inherent damage to your drive?

thats abit like my hard drive,yesterday before installing mohaa i had like 32gb`s free that went down to 31 after installation then after i uninstalled it a few hours later i only regained about 500mb`s of memory so where did the other 500mb`s go?

Try this free utility to see which files are eating up your HDD space

sequoiaview here

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back