Hard Drive Not working!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Seeking Up, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

Hey i just bought a 120 GB western digital hard drive and i had a maxtor before. well anyways i put it in and when i went to install there stuff i get threw most of the steps and something comes up and says Are You Insalling Windows XP On To This? and i go to yes and it says my bios isnt XP compatible. but i had xp on my maxtor drive!! help please!!!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Say no when it asks if you are putting xp on & see what happens.

3. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

ok will try, but i want xp on there but ill see what happens

4. Dimoe

Dimoe Guest

What are your computer specs, you still have your old hard-drive connected??? Are thy on seperate ide channels? Is it set to master??? Need some more info first...

5. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

no i was gonna just start the 120 by its self and give my maxtor to my dad and just install xp right onto the new hard drive. and i have the settings set as single with the jumpers

6. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

ok i tryed it and i pused no and i got another window that says do i want to install NT and i pushed no and then the next window said instert a DOS system disk or a windows 9x/ME start up disk into the floppy drive??? but i want XP on there and it wont work when i say i want to put in XP says my BIOS doesnt work with XP

7. Hipster Doofus

If you had xp on it before it should still go on. Why it refuses who knows. Try downloading the boot floppies for xp. I think you can get them at microsoft. That will get you a bit further, hopefully all the way.

8. Hipster Doofus

Another thing..........do you have to install the maxtor stuff????
    Try booting with the xp cd in. Set the bios to boot from the cd first.

9. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

ok i tryed it agian and when it asked me if i want to install xp i put yes agian and now it says that it supports xp so i restarted and i put my xp disk in and i think its insalling it.. hopefully no errors will come up or something!!!!!! knock on wood!!!!

10. Hipster Doofus

Wierd
    Hope it keeps going.

11. Seeking Up

Seeking Up Guest

thanks hipster doofus by the way! for you input thank u agian!!!

12. Hipster Doofus