Hard drive light every 3 sec

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NeoXP, May 2, 2002.

1. NeoXP

NeoXP Guest

:mad:I am having an issue with a computer I just purchased. It is a Dell Inspiron I8200 notebook. I have listed the specs bellow. Every 3 sec the hard drive light flashes. It was bothering me so much that I have just done a clean install and the problem persists. Is this a background service from xp pro? I have gone to MSCONFIG and disabled startup items and all non-ms services and the situation continues. This is probably the most knowledgable forum I have come across so I figured someone here could pin-point it!

Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ clean install of xp pro
    Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
    512 MB of PC2100 DDR
    64 MB Gefore4 Go 440
    40 Gig 5400 RPM HD
    15" Enhanced UXGA
    CD-RW/DVD Combo

2. stkootic

stkootic Guest

Was wondering, Does it still do it on a fresh reboot, before you open any programs? Also did you format before reinstalling XP. OEM makers put alot of "junk" on computers. Also a virus detection program will contantly run up disk usage. Programs like Kaazaa have built in spyware that sends your surfing habits to them. Some isps also do this. If the problem still occurs after a format and clean install, maybe its a hardware monitor.
    Good Luck

3. SkidMark

SkidMark Guest

It sounds to me like it could be the "auto insert notification" or "autoplay" for your CD rom

try disabling it , you can do that either using tweakui(powertoys)
    or through gpedit.msc , tweakui is probably simpler
    good luck :)

4. westy1

westy1 Guest

Have you looked in event viewer to see if anything is listed in there.