hard drive errors serious?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by leedogg, Jan 3, 2004.

1. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I've been seeing these logged in my system events periodically:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

and getting little yellow warnings in my task bar (device write failures)

recently. Anybody know what may be causing these and if they are signs of anything serious?

Other than the warnings I havent really noticed any effect...

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yeah, that does sound a bit serious. But if it's only during paging... Hard to say. But it sure sounds bad. May be the disk failing. :(

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i would format the paging file partition and see if that helps. will have to be from safe mode, then clear all the logs and see what happens.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

1). Run the disk manufacturers diagnostics. If it's a newer drive and the drive is failing it should detect it. It will also generate a handy RMA form for you in case the drive is still in warantee. Enable SMART support in bios. The new (last 2 years) drives actually monitor their internal operation and can predict an imminent failure.

2). Check how much space you have on the D drive. If it is low on space there may not be enough room for the pagefile to grow as needed causing write "errors". I use a fixed pagefile to avoid fragmentation and to make sure I don't crowd the pagefile.