hard drive copy/data move...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mlakrid, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Ok I know this is the applications section, so the title probably sounds like its in the wrong place, but its NOT... I promise...:up:

I finally got my new power supply in and now itws time to move the old PSU out, install the new one, and get ready to RAID my 2 raptors...

Heres what I want:

A striped RAID for the performance, with my 250GB partitioned to keep a copy of the RAID, and the remainder for storage for video, mp3s, mpegs etc, anything NOT associatred with the OS or games I use alot...

SO.. I want to keep all the drivers, patches and any/all info on the games i have in the folders on a new location so that I can slate the original raptor, RAID the 2 raptors in a striped RAID as I mentioned earlier.

What I am looking for is a free or low cost program which I could use to burn the image of the drive I have now onto the Large HDD I will install tonight...

I AM NOT HIJACKING ANOTHER THREAD... I just couldnt find one of the others where you all were talking about the copying software previously...

THANKS everyone!

EDIT: Also; if anyone has the P4C-800E and has used the promise controller (to RAID), I could use a POC for when I run into problems with the Promise RAID controller, because everything I have read says it is not the easiest thing to do for this board.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I personally would recommend Norton Ghost for imaging, however there are others out there. A lot of people on this forum don't like Ghost, and will probably blast it, but I have used it for years and never ran into any problems which forced me to take on another application.

3. mlakrid

I have norton ghost (I have to find it, Im still unpacking), and I wasnt sure if it would allow me to create my partitions and then ghost the image from one drive to the other...??

EDIT: I know it will allow me to copy the data, what I mean is without having an exact copy as from Drive C: to Drive J: (or whatever drive it comes up as)

4. kcnychief

Absolutely. You can create all the partitions on your disk you want, and then select a disk to disk copy from within Ghost, which brings over the entire disk.

Attached Files:

mlakrid likes this.
  5. mlakrid

KC: THanks.. Reps + ... last question, after I get my RAID up and running, is it possible to use ghost as the back-up software?

Everyone else: without bashing Ghost what else can you all recommend?
    This is time sensitive, because I want to have this done ASAIGH...

6. kcnychief

I'm surprised I was able to figure out what ASAIGH means, heh.

Here is a document on Ghost and RAID:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999010613522725?Open&src=sg&docid=2002092510522725&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/dfb4b017218165c088256c3f00622fae?opendocument&prod=norton%20ghost&ver=2003%20for%20windows%202000/nt/me/98&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl

7. kcnychief

I have heard decent things about Acronis, and from the few seconds I poked around the website, it appears to have good RAID support...

http://www.acronis.com/

8. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I feel Acronis True Image is the best solution for transfering data from one to another, or creating images ..

9. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

It works great !

Good luck mlakrid.

10. mlakrid

NO luck needed, all the files I want to keep are already burned to CD-roms.. I just didnt want to have to try and burn all my vids/music and game patches...

:)

THanks though!

:laugh: