Hard Disk SMART message

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dreamworks, Jan 14, 2004.

1. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Hello ...

Recently, while I was using my PC, it suddenly froze and the only thing I could do is do a hard reset. After I restart my PC, windows is not able to load anymore. Everytime the start-up option appears and no matter which option I choose, it just somehow freeze half way and no other message appears. I took the hard drive and plug it into another PC, and went online to Seagate's website and check on it. A return bad S.M.A.R.T. message was all I get and that my drive is still under warranty. Does that mean its about time's up for my hard disk?

Appreciate any advise .. thanks!

2. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

That's what SMART is for: to tell you if there's a problem. Although, your PC should've warned you before it went bad. Maybe you don't have SMART enabled in your BIOS?

Anyway, it doesn't look good. You could try hooking it as a slave drive and extracting whatever files you need off before you RMA it.

I suppose you could try formatting again, but it's probably gonna fail again even if you can get it to work again. I wouldn't trust it.

3. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Thanks .. I have immediately salvage and transfer whatever data I can, but along the way I have errors and etc. I'll need to do a format to ensure the data is wiped out at least on a primary level before I send it for RMA.

But the funny thing is I'd remember I enable SMART for the hard drive when I did the PC last time .. strange? :( Thanks again ..