Hack can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro Lite

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by _kC_, Jun 4, 2005.

1. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

"German computer magazine C'T claims that by changing only 2 bytes from the file setupreg.hiv in Windows's XP Home kit, users can get access to certain functions only avalaible in Windows XP Professional, such as Remote Desktop, User management and enhanced security features.

C'T writes in its latest print issue (in German only) that you need to copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your harddisk, extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD and change only 2 bytes in i386\Setupreg.hiv by using Regedit. In fact all you have to do is edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to "00" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd, C'T claims.

There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the setup files soon to prevent this hack. ®"

source: the register

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Indeed this "hack" does work. very old but good hack...been known in the "underworld" for some time now."...I know that some will post saying why not just buy one? well to answer that is simple. because its there an I can..

yes SP2 can be installed. but "other means" which I cannot convey here..
    tried it and it works.

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It's too easy to get legit copies of windows anyway :)
    I have 6 varients of windows xp in my room :)

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

6? how much you want for them? ;)

5. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

ah! thats awfully nice of you, are you offering to give these to people here who dont have the funds/means to upgrade from home to pro?? or whats the point in your post?

seems like a handy tweak for xp home users

6. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

This would indicate to me that the original “retail” XP home CD is identical to the XP pro CD with a small script in the installer edited to reflect the changes, if this was not the case this hack would not work prior to XP SP2? So all that is needed is to slipstream the package with SP2?

:nervous:

7. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah why not? Once again everything comes down to licencing.

8. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Im posting this link because these guys found a way to circumvent Microsofts liscensing agreement. Note that all OEM versions range in price from $60-100 and its 100% totally legal.

They get around the Licensing agreement because they sell the OS with a piece of hardware (mostly Mice). They buy the extra OS's from name brand manufacturers... I.E. gateway, Dell, Compaq, etc.. but all the software will work 100% with any comp, and best of all its LEGAL...

Microsoft has tried to stop the software wholesalers from doing this, but unless they were to change the agreement, they cant stop them, so if you want all of your OS's to be 100% legit... heres the way: www.salesintl.com

9. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

define prof lite.

10. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

BOOTCFG /REBUILD
    XP Professional "Napalmnthemorning Editon"

11. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Awesome link, will have to purchase some of that!

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

has anyone tried to get the administrator to work without going into safe mode after this hack?

13. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

And it's because of people like this that the price of software is so much to begin with. Thank you.