Group Policy in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jonny813, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

Hey I'm new here and have one question i can't seem to get around. I would like to use group policy to restrict other users (family members) from windows settings but when i try using it on my standalone machine, it affects everyone, including myself, how can i get it to affect only the other users?
    My Windows XP Magazine said a while back that it only affects the current user, but i've had no such luck

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

GPO only affects standard users and power users. Local administrators will continue to have unrestricted access to the computer.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

What settings are you trying to restrict specifically?

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

This is just not true. Group policies affect all users.

If you want to restrict specific users, you have to enter in the group policy restrictions in the registry for the user you are trying to restrict.

5. j79zlr

Every GPO in the administrative templates, if enabled, will affect all users? Show me one that does not.

6. madmatt

You're right. I take it back.

Using Active Directory and the way I build networks I don't apply Group Policies to the users container (besides security policies, e.g. security settings). I create a new GPO for Domain Users and another for Domain Computers then apply policies to those containers.

That's why Group Policy doesn't apply to Administrator.

7. j79zlr

Right, I guess I should have said if you are using AD and have a domain controller you can set specific policies, on a standalone PC or in a network without a DC you cannot.

madmatt likes this.
  8. madmatt

I'm sorry for confusing everyone; I thought this was posted in Windows Server.

9. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

I was trying to apply settings from all of the User Configuration, i thought it would be better than using third party programs if Windows could do it on its own. i don't know how to set all the registry settings so i guess they will have to do thanks

10. j79zlr

11. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the list thats quite amazing, i would never have got that on my own :)

12. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

After trying it out on my test XP the only values that don't work are for the Internet Explorer toolbar button customization (Btn_Size etc.)