Green Machine

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by mayor, Apr 1, 2003.

1. mayor

mayor Guest

Hi just got this oliveti computer and its got a cute 12" green screen
    and a rather unusual CD drive with a lever on the front maybe its a DVD drive. Its got a 10GB hard drive or it could be 10MB I can't decipher the writing. I want to put windows XP proffesional on it but can't open the tray on the CD. At the moment I have a flashing "C"and I waiting still for it to load into windows-any ideas

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

12" monochrome screen? ouch

first step would be to make sure the drive isn't 10mb in size... i have a feeling it is. :D

2000 or even 95 won't install on a monochrome system, will it?

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Or maybe a 5 1/4" flopppy drive....:D

4. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

Re: Re: Green Machine

hahahaha ohh man thats rich

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That children is a state of the art 1985 vintage computer.

The big thing with the handle is a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drive (no longer used). I'd bet money the HD is 10 meg's. The processor is probably an 80286 running around 10-12 mHz. There was no such thing as a cdrom back then. If the machine has a graphics card and not just text capability the graphics will be 640x400 monochrome at best.

The machine should run win 3.1 but since it's a 16 BIT processor I don't think it can handle win 95.

Olivetti was one of the players back then haven't heard anything about them in 15 years.

I hope you didn't pay any money for it.

PS Man that brought back memories of my first computer. A Compaq Portable Model 1. Eight bit, 8mHz processor, 6 inch built in monochrome graphics monitor, DUAL 5 1/4 inch floppies and a whole 256 meg of ram! And it only weighed about 35 pounds. Came with carrying case and reinforced strap.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Yes, I'm an old fart.

7. jumpy

jumpy Guest

256kb of ram i think you mean...

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Thanks, I was living in the present there. 256k. BTW do you remember what that brain dead version of the 8086 processor was numbered? 8088 maybe? It's bugging me I forgot!

9. jumpy

jumpy Guest

I don't know, I don't think I was alive at that stage... :D

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Re: Re: Green Machine

:eek: didn't even occur to me. :D

11. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

My first computer was a C64 with a cinderblock 5.25 drive.. and my 2nd was a 286/10 with no hard drive and 768k of memory.. ..man i miss deskmate..

12. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

I still have my old AMIGA 500 stored up in the attic, which I bought when stationed in Germany. Oh boy was I exited when I fitted my first 512Kb of extra memory in the bottom "trap door". And I cannot explain the feeling whem my 80Mb hard drive arrived in the post whilst stationed in Nothern Ireland.

Now that I have remembered it, I might bring it down for a boot-up down old memory lane (or maybee not).