GPS To GPS

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Bman, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Now that I have a phone with GPS I want to use it for everything. The only feature that would be awesome that I don't think my phone can do (or anything by default) is use another GPS system.

Here's the deal,

I have GPS on my phone, and GPS with my fathers car. I would like to be able when I am waiting to be picked up to connect from my phone to the GPS in his car, so I can see where he is at.

Is this possible, in any which way...at all?

2. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

Your phone can send the gps coordinates to the internet, so it depends on the gps of your father if he can pick these up or not. If he has a standard gps in his car it can only receive gps signals, not send them.
    I have FRING on my phone and it has an option to send out my gps coordinates. (www.fring.com) It sends data to your fring widget on a webpage so you must have internet available.

3. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

so in basic, you want to have a tracking method, what brand GPS and what brand phone would help in finding a solution

4. Bman

HTC Touch Diamond for the phone, and I don't know the GPS system in the car, I believe it's a Generic GPS system, the car is a Toyota Camry Hybrid.

And yea so basically I want to track the car from my phone.

5. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

read the manual for the cars GPs system and see if there is a way to track it on a mobile device

6. Bman

Read through the manual for the GPS system quickly, nothing in there that relates to what I want to do. Nothing at all, does not send information or can't even receive information other then the map data. hmm

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Hey Bman, now you'll never get lost again goin to da "john" :p