Got Steam?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Kr0m, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I'm glad I still refuse to use this program...

http://games.slashdot.org/

http://games.slashdot.org/

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

3. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I guess all of those comments to this article over at slashdot claiming otherwise, are bogus then.

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

sounds bogus. :p
    I've never had problems connecting to the steam client nor any of the game servers.
    Also, offline mode games no longer require you to log into steam as far as I know.

5. Electronic Punk

CS was working fine for me last night, but then there is a time difference.
    Just because people on the Steam forums were complaining... no point checking tho as people are always complaining there ... given up going there :)

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Didn't have problems either. In any case, servers go down, the guys on the steam forums should all take a step back and take a breath of fresh air once in a while.

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uhm yeah

its counterstrike ûûûûûûûs we're talking about here....

not brain cell in sight :D

8. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

People should learn to check the status page to see if Steam is down, having problems or if it is just their computer before posting in the Steam forums. If the status page shows Steam network is up and no major spikes then they need to look at their own PC or ISP as the problem and not the Steam network.

I have seen people on the Steam forum write "it is not my PC" but when you give them the link to the status page and they see Steam has been running with zero problems then they come back saying "I better go check what wrong with my PC" or something similar.

9. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I have never had one problem with the steam servers. I was quickly playing hl2 the night it was released and never have problems connecting ever. All my problems are game/content related with steam/valve games but the servers have never been a problem

10. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I have had steam for quite a while and never had problems with connecting (except the night when hl2 came out). Steam is a wonderful program that is really blossoming into the future of gaming imo. Valve has done a great job of fixing problems very quickly and making it a stable product (versus what it was ~2 years ago). It can only get better.

11. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Slashdot'ers complaining?? never :p

12. Electronic Punk

If it was posted on slashdot that Doom5 had been delayed, now, there would be people there flaming idsoftware for not living up to their promises. Funny tho :p

13. Weasel

Weasel Define 'Cynical'

I don't trust Steam in the slightest and am amazed that people actually bought HL-2 over it instead of buying an actual CD. What happens when Steam, in all it's "bugginess" decides that it doesn't want you to have HL-2 anymore and says you can't redownload it. Yeah... You know it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when with that piece of junk people call a good program.

14. Electronic Punk

Doesn't make a difference if you have the CD or not in that case.
    Not only have their been at least 100 meg of updates released, but you still need Steam to unlock it.

15. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What I've been wondering is when I've had enough of HL2 how do I go about selling it??

16. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Amm ... you sell your steam ID? Unless Valve devises a way for people to transfer the game tie-in to your account, I don't see any other way.

17. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

yeah you just have to sell your user account...transfer everything that way

18. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

But what about all your other games? If you are right then it sucs big time.

19. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

There are so many people that have the game, and for some reason there are a small amount of people that have some problem, probably their problem not valve's, that think that valve is bad, but think of how many people that have problems compared to happy ppl(like myself) For the most part people play their game and dont mind a glitch here and there. I love steam and have faith in it. Its just that one group of people that always popup from nowhere and ruin it for others by complaining about every little thing

20. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I bought HL2 through Steam then used the backup feature that Steam now has and I have all my games including HL2 on CD's.

I am not so sure about this if you use backup CD's made through Steam. I wanted to test the CD's I made so I removed Steam including all registry entries then re-installed. I then logged into my account and had no games in the games list yet so I shut down Steam then ran the CD's. After I was done putting my games back in off the CD's I started Steam in Offline mode and was able to play HL2. Maybe the CD's you make with the Steam backup utility puts the registry entries in too for all the games it backed up?