Google Browser?

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
Maybe this is just some BS, but its worth a look

Well, it's too early to download the Gbrowser. It hasn't been released yet. How do I even know there is a Gbrowser? Let's look at some facts. First, Google is dominating on the word G. For instance, Gmail.com. It would only make sense that they register gbrowser.com if they are planing to release a browser. gbrowser.com doesn't exist, but it is already registered by Google. This in itself is not proof. I have reserved some names I may never use. The next piece of information is what catches my attention.

Browser logs over the web show a UserAgent for Google in a very small percentage. Not all sites, but mostly tech sites. UserAgents give a unique identifier for each browser and version. Your UserAgent is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4, so that's how I know you are using a browser in the family of Firefox. As a webmaster I can log this information to find out what percentage of users have your browser and version, and make appropriate changes to my sites.

Some people are seeing Google in their logs. It says "Google 0.X" listed among the other browsers, not robots, not search queries, but browsers! 0.X is the version number of beta software - software in production. So if you think these logs are mistakes, recognizing the GoogleBot instead, I don't think so. GoogleBot is at least in version 2.1. Still a chance this can be wrong.

Lead Engineer of Mozilla Firefox, Ben Goodger, is now working for Google. In January 2005 he wrote:
While I will be spending more time at Google, I will work out of the Mozilla Foundation offices regularly as the need arises.

Finally, competition is heating up already between Google and Microsoft. In many areas of online technology such as search (web and desktop) and email, Microsoft and Google are competitors. Rather than making another toolbar for Microsoft's browser, Google may be trying to get into the browser market and have full control over browser operations. (Do you know what Google AutoLink is?)

What does this all mean for me? Not so much, but I am coding browser recognition for ABS this week. The code identifies your browser and provides you with the proper code, whatever it may need to be. I have added all common browsers to the code, but it looks like I will need to add another. I also need to know the proper scripting to write in order to create bookmarks and sidebars for this possibly upcoming browser. Not to mention, I also need to make sure the CSS parses in the same way as it does in current browsers otherwise I have even more coding to do.

Not really a news source, http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/download/gbrowser

Last edited:
seems like he's having fun, but makes some good points...I would think google would make an excellant browser, (I would worry about personal information though)

remember discussion about this when they aquired one of the head programmers of firefox (might have mixed up facts, not too sure)

One thing everyone should have learned from this morning's WWDC announcement is - never say never. :)
With that said, I don't really know if I want another browser to jump into an already saturated pool. Then again, it could be interesting, as long as it doesn't use yet another new rendering engine.

off topic: net, get the 6680 hehe so we can still be phone buddies, its truly amazing, i havent put this thing down all night.

Actually if Google could come up with a rendering engine as good as opera's but better, and not as "holier than thou" as gecko it could be great :)

Actually IE thinks it's "holier than thou". But that's another story. :D

Now imagine Google coming together with Mozilla/Firefox.

gonaads said:
Now imagine Google coming together with Mozilla/Firefox.
That I wouldn't mind. :D
Wish we could have one damn standard rendering engine though. Would make life easier. It's not just a problem with IE (although it's one of the poorest). Every browser seems to have some quirks that don't affect any of the others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back