getting a fast login

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mr. Sushi, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

okay my login went from INSTANTANEOUS to almost REALLY REALLY long. like 10-15 seconds now. i have no idea what happened. i dont know what's slowing down my login so much. do you guyz know how i can figure it out or know of things that it could be?
  2. FoSsiL

FoSsiL Guest

goto run msconfig see whats programs are boot up with windows, disable the programs that u do not use.

next u can use Boot Vis, is a tool which help config ur start up to boot faster.

at start up u know that green(xp home)/blue(xp prof.)bar at windows xp start up screen, i did this and every time when windows boots up that bar only passes by on my srceen once for me
    1. run "regedit";
    2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
    3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.
    4. reboot.
  3. Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi Guest

what does that do?
  4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

nothing, it slows your boot time down,
    Enabling task scheduler and the prefetcher will DECREASE boot time. XP after three? boots will determine the order for drivers and other startup items to load. The prefetcher stores this information. It also stores info about programs so they will launch faster.

The main reason for a slow boot time is a specific driver hanging at startup. Have you updated any drivers or added new hardware? You can run M$ bootvis tool to watch how things load. This can show you a driver that is stalling, if you find one, update it.

I should add that EnablePrefetching should be set to 3, that does boot time prefetching and program prefetching.
  5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    j79zlr is referring to the last portion of the fossil post, and is correct

the first two ideas are good j says, the last part of the post is a liability