Get rid of "old" screensaver names?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Aug 3, 2002.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I have a Screen Saver Control icon in my toolbar. I have several screensavers I don't have or use any more. (most of them from XP plus that I had but uninstalled) How do I delete these screensaver names that I don't have?
    I went into programs in windows explorer but couldn't find anything with those old screensaver names in them.

2. allan

allan Guest

Do a search on your system (check "Advanced" and enable searching in Hidden & System folders) for *.scr files (just like that - *.scr). You may find multiple copies of each - just delete the ones you want.

3. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Thanks allan. I ran the advanced search and came up with nothing. Any other ideas.. Its not a major deal, but I'd like to delete those old screensaver names.
    Once again!

So if you go into Start/control panel/display and click into the screensaver from the display properties and you see screensavers you don't use anymore. Where the "heck" are those suckers?

4. brunsodj

brunsodj OSNN Addict

Try this:

1. C: windows\system32
    2. Delete the Screen Savers
    3. Start > Run and then type C:\windows\system32\dllcache (This folder is really hidden, this is the easiest why to reach it.)
    4. Delete the Screen Savers in that folder, they have the same name.

I don't know why microsoft does that...Its dumb if you ask me.

~Dan