Geforce4 Ti 4200 and Geforce FX 5600 ... confusing..

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Nedreplan, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

I keep reading the reviews on Geforce FX 5600 and compare it with Ti 4200 and 4600...

In many ways and words it sounds like the "Ti"-cards are better, only the FX 5900 can truly kick them, or??...

The "Ti"-cards have better fill rate, but do the "FX"-cards balance that up in another way? And how much do the CineFX do on older games? And The AA doesn't seem too top notch on the "FX"-cards..but are they better on the "Ti"-cards? or...

Who will actually gain on exchanging the "Ti"-card to a "FX"-card, 5600 or 5200...? I can understand that the 5900 is a different matter.......

:confused:

2. rnielsen151

rnielsen151 OSNN Junior Addict

My Ti4400 runs same as my GFX5200 Ultra

The only real benefit of GFX that i can see is DX9 compatibility.

3. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

And not that many games are Dx9 yet ...

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

NOt really any :( The Doom III alpha is pretty nice. I would download that if you want to test which does better in DX9.

5. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

Have you tried it? Any major difference?

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

first of all... an alpha is no representation of the final code... if you are judging the purchase of a product based on this it is completely fallacious :)

a reworking of that idealogy may be in order..

secondly... and this is the MAIN point... doom III == opengl... NOT direct x...

as far as the game is concerned... doom III is for all intents and purposes a dx7 LEVEL game... there are a few specific features that newer cards will be able to handle better/faster than older cards..

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the best of the bunch will be the 5600ultra ( at least the re-spun version) since it is about as fast as the ti4600 and it also has dx9 support...

this is the way I would rank them...

5600ultra == gf4 ti 4600 > gf4 ti 4200 > 5600 non-Ultra...

note : 5600ultra == gf4 ti 4600 in dx8 and below... in dx9 5600ultra > gf4 ti 4600...

hope this helps...

8. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

Thanks Sazar!

It does... As I run the Ti4200 I will not notice any REAL difference unless I get myself a 5900... But those cost abit :eek:

Then I have to consider if it is worth the money... :rolleyes: