Geforce fx 5800 ultra RUNNING SLOW!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ste_w, Apr 6, 2003.

1. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

hi

Does anyone know why my Geforce fx 5800 ultra is running slow?

i have an ali motherboard with the newest drivers in for its agp, and the latest nvidia 43.45 drivers, i am @ 1.4ghz , 512mb, 4x agp slot, it wont even run the geofrce 4 demos at smooth frame rates, i can play games on full graphics but i am eventaully lagged down and either have to restart the game or the computer, i phoned the pc world people and they say its a faulty chip cos it wont even play the Dawn or ogre demos!!!!

Wat do you think?

pls help

thanx

ste

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

4x

the ultra fx 5800 is 8x agp u have 4x thats whats slowing it down alot maybe other things

3. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

its not the 4x cos the guy @ pc world had 1 to and his was on 4x and he sed his ran fine

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

man they will tell u anything to make a sale.
    it well never preform as well as it should on 4x if its made to run on 8x thats half of its power down the drain

think about it

5. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

the guy at pc world only told you that to make a sale lol
    he proberly doesent have a gforce FX., :D,

but isent it allways strange that every one you talk to in places like pcworld, the person you are talking to allways has what you are going to buy.
    :D

6. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

he told me after i had purchased it, it says on the specs it need a agp2.0 slot, which i have, it doesnt say agp3.0

Ive seen Benchmarks of the card running on agp4x and there getting about 60-100 more frames than me, and if it cant even render the car demo then theres gota be somert wrong, theres also another power cable to make it go faster.....

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah ok now it looks like there is something wrong. do u have all the connections put in properly? also how many watts is ur psu maybe thats it. if it 300w or 350w try going for a 400w or more. a geforce 4 sucks alot of power so i would think the fx takes more as it also requires a 4 pin connection to the psu.

8. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

it says you need a 300w, last week i had 350w, and i got it replaced the other day so i thinks its 400w now, im checking that power cable after, it was tide around something so i just untide it and pluged the 4 pin thing into the card, do i have to enable that connecter somewhere? or maybe plug the other end if somewhere if not alrdy done???

pls help

thanx

9. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

What card/drivers did you use before upgrading to this new card?

Maybe there are leftover drivers from an older card buggering things up for the new one. I say this because my new R9700Pro didnt perform as expected until i did a clean install. There were all sorts of problems. Now i VERY rarely go through the hassel of a clean install but it did help me on that occasion.

Just a thought.

PS themafia_69 - "thats half of its power down the drain" ....i dont think so. If i was to run my R9700Pro on 2xAGP it certainly wouldnt start running at half the performance. No sir.

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

nope

nope just plug it in! wait did u just change ur vid card from a prevous one? without formatting? if u did i reccomend formatting and reinstalling windows that will always help!:happy:

11. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

i rebooted the computer so there would be no driver conflicts.

12. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Sometimes it takes more than a reboot to resolve driver problems.

Its an expensive bit of hardware you have there..put the effort in and do a clean install. Im certain it'll be worht your time.

13. Kush

Kush High On Life!

no man i mean format the hard drive and install windows again fresh.!:happy: :blink:

14. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

yea sorry, i ment thats wat i had done, a reboot, reformat, wiped everything off the h drive and put windows back in again.

15. Kush

Kush High On Life!

which version of the detonator drivers do u have? if any

16. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

wen i rebooted i followed the pny geforce fx manules instructions, it sed place the disk into the cd rom drive and click on windows xp under the heading geofrce fx5800 ultra drivers only, there number was 43.00, weni saw the demos running slow, i uninstalled them and installed the 43.45 ones, still i had the same problem, i have direct x 9.a installed an yes i have tried the card, on dx9 and dx8.1 and still the same, thing.

17. Kush

Kush High On Life!

dont know then try looking at the settings and if that doesnt work try getting a replacment card.

18. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

Damn i thought i'd have to get a replacement tho

Its a very good card and stunning graphics, from wat i have been able to see and play.

Look like i'll have to wait another week for a replacment card then.

Thanx 4 ur help

cya

ste

19. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

does the motherboard require a bios flash to understand wtf a AGP3 complient card is ? if the boards 6 months old i dare say it does.

20. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

yea ste.. ill come wit ya to PCWorld and get a replacement card no problem :D

Ill get meself a card also too .. hehehehehehehe

Finally!.. From a Geforce 2mx 400 to a Geforce FX5800 Ultra,

What a Jump! :p

Sincerly
    Alex :cool: