Games at 1280x1024

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Geffy, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

is there any application that I can use which will allow me to use 1280x1024 res in a game which only supports 1280x960. It just annoys me that I have a monitor capable of 1280x1024 and because some games only go up to 1280x960 and my TFT monitor doesnt support that resolution at all

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

cs: source does :p

3. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Wouldn't playing a game at a resolution it's not made for cause distortion?

5. Geffy

well I wouldnt mind if it just stuck some black bars at the edge as long as I could have the rest in high res

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uhm obvios question - why did you buy a monitor that's native resolution is non-standard? thats just dumb :D

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It seems a fair few TFT manufacturers made their 17" monitors (and possibly other sizes) in a 5:4 ratio rather than the standard 4:3. Everything should be 16:10 anyway, but that's another matter all together :D

8. mbx

mbx Marathon Project

Read again , LordOfLA ;)

I've not seen this problem, but I would be inclined to drop the game down to 1024x768 and hopefully the game's company may support your native res in a future patch :)

9. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

all 17" and 19" desktop LCD panels are 1280x1024. so it is 'standard', 1280x960 is 'non-standard' even though it complies with the 4:3 which virtually every other resolution uses (640x480 through to 2048x1536). And i do agree with speedy_b, 16:10 owns all of them :)

10. Geffy

yeah 16:10 rules, as does 8:5 but my monitors native res is 1280x1024 and I could care less about things looking "squashed" or "warped" cause even if you have a 4:3 res on your output people usually mess with the vertical and horizontal width on their monitors so the whole argument is stupid anyway.

The game I was having this issue with was C&C: Generals
    simple fix was opening the options.ini file in the folder it makes in your Documents folder and changing the "Resolution" line to read
    Resolution = 1280 1024
    now all is fine, it runs in 1280x1024 mode without any problems. The game itself just doesnt offer this resolution setting in its Options interface.

Xie likes this.
  11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Thats very interesting. Nice "hack". :)