game dies on me

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by canadian_divx, Aug 17, 2002.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ok in almost of all of my games that i play when i am about half way throught it, it just dies and brings me back to windows, now i know it is not a heat problem and i have the most recient drivers for my nvivia gforce 2 mx200 64mb ddr and i know it is not a ram proglem because it is all new at 896mb and my cpu is a amd athlon 1ghz, if anyone has encountered this before and knows waht is happening then i would love for you to help me. oh yea and i ran all of teh DX tests and they are fine and i ahve the latest DX

2. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

before you run your games, close anything that run in background,
    use the "" msconfig '"

3. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

everything is closed except for seti and norton antivirus and i have the un-needed services shut down

4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

The only thing that might tell you why the games are dying on you is if you open Event History (Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer). The answer should be in the System or Application category. There should be an entry at the exact time the game died that tells you why it died.

5. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

turn off everything including Norton, and try to defrag your PC,too. And don't use a firewall like Zone Alram.