GA-7NNXP please tell me your opinions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Shamus MacNoob, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Please tell me your thoughts about this board , will be using my Athlon 2700+ for now with my PC3200 400mhz ram ( samsung )

link to board at bottom all input welcome thanks

GA-7NNXP
    nForce 2 Ultra400 chipset

Processor
    Socket A for AMD AthlonXP / Athlon / Duron processor

Chipset
    NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 System Platform Processor (SPP)

Media and Communications Processor - Turbo (MCP-T)

Super I/O: ITE IT8712F chip

Silicon Image sil3112A controller

GigaRAID ATA 133 RAID controller

Intel 82540EM Gigabit LAN chip

Realtek 8100 Ethernet Controller

Realtek ALC650 Audio AC'97 Codec

2 x 4M bit flash ROM

Front Side Bus
    400/333/266 MHz FSB

Memory
    Type:Dual Channel DDR400/ 333/ 266- 184pin

Max capacity: Up to 3GB by 4 DIMM slots

Internal I/O Connectors
    2 x Serial ATA connector

4 x UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Bus Master IDE connectors

1 x FDD connector

1 x USB 2.0/1.1 connectors(support 2 ports)

2 x IEEE 1394 connectors ( supports 3 ports)

S/P DIF input/output pin header

3 x cooling fan pin headers

WOL pin header

CD/AUX in

1 x Game/Midi connector

Expansion Slots
    1 x AGP Pro slot (8x/4x-AGP 3.0 compliant, supports 1.5v display card only.)

5 x PCI slots (PCI 2.2 compliant)

1 x DPS slot

Rear Panel I/O
    PS/2 Keyboard / Mouse

4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

2 x RJ45 ports

2 x COM ports

1 x LPT

Audio (1 x Line-in / 1 x Line-out / 1 x Mic) connector

CPU/AGP/DIMM setting
    CPU FSB / Multiplier / Vcore Voltage adjustable via BIOS

AGP Voltage / Clock adjustable via BIOS

DIMM Voltage / Clock adjustable via BIOS

Power
    ATX power connector and ATX 12V connector

Power-off by Windows 98/ Me/ 2000/ XP shut down and switch

Form Factor
    ATX form factor

30.5 x 24.4 cm

H/W Monitoring
    System health status auto-detect and report by BIOS

Hardware detecting and reporting for case open, power-in voltage, CPU voltage, and fan speed.

BIOS
    2x4M bit flash ROM, enhanced ACPI feature for PC98/Win98/Win2000/Me/ CE/XP compliance, Green, PnP, DMI, INT13 (>8.4GB) and Anti-Virus functions

IDE#1~#4, SCSI, LS120, ZIP and CD-ROM bootable

Other Features
    EasyTune™4 (support the function of hardware monitoring only)

Suspend to RAM (STR)

Supports USB KB / MS wake up from S3

Bundle Software
    Norton Internet Security™

Norton Anti Virus™

Norton™ Personal Firewall

Norton™ Privacy Control

Norton™ Parental Control

Norton™ Spam Alert

GIGABYTE Windows Utility Manager

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Adobe Acrobat e-Book Reader

Driver
    nForce2 series system driver

REALTEK audio driver

Intel Pro/1000 CT LAN driver

Realtek LAN driver

Silcon Image Serial ATA driver

GigaRAID IDE RAID driver

USB2.0 driver

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7NNXP.htm

2. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

I have a Gigabyte board in my other computer (7VRX KT333) and it's as solid as a rock. Be sure to get good ram (Crucial or Corsair, people say get the no name brands, but I've been down that road and my Crucial sticks haven't failed me yet). My computer rarely crashes (and it stays on for weeks on end). The board I believe is shaping up to be a fast Nforce2 board, so I'd say go for it. Most people would say go for the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, either way, you can't go wrong!

3. Shamus MacNoob

Cool thanks for the input :)

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

gigabyte makes good solid motherboards. They are not the best overclockers around though. But if you want good features, good price and relaibility they are fine. I'm running a GA-7vrxp now. I just missed out on the 333 FSB boards when I bought. :eek:

5. Shamus MacNoob

Cool thanks for input I found a review and it gave me some good insight to my board will pick it up tommorow here is a caption

Conclusions
    The long time waiting for the nForce II based motherboard made by Gigabyte has been generously awarded. Users have got an excellent product that at some parameters is superior to the competition. This applies first to the expansion options and some BIOS functions.

Let me list the expansion options once again: dual-channel IDE RAID controller, dual-channel SerialATA controller (with support for RAID), two LAN controllers (one of them being a Gigabit LAN), powerful and of good quality integrated audio, a possibility to plug in smart card readers and support for serial buses USB 2.0 (6 ports) and Firewire (3 ports). Besides, the board offers 4 DIMM slots (instead of 3 like in all the other boards).

During the tests, the board showed excellent stability and performance. Also, its overclocking options are very powerful, and at overclocking results the board is second to none of the competitors' products.

The board has some small shortcomings as well: the only thing worth mentioning is the partial incompatibility with Kingston HyperX PC2700 memory modules.

As for the price, it's pretty high - as much as $170-$175. Anyway, I didn't get the impression that the price was unjustifiably overstated: 7NNXP is a true high-end product offering rich package bundle and powerful functions.

They had this sucker rock solid at 225mhz FSB here is the review

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/gigabyte-7nnxp/

:)

6. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

7nnxp....! i'm using it now and so far it perform well + have very good features. The only problem i have is i cant update the bios. if i update the bios, i cant boot up to winxp or even if i can boot, it will restart or bsod. some user r havin the same problem as me and we all had reported to gigabyte but they havent reply.

and other problem is the dual power system (dps). many users reported that with the dps installed, they r havin stability problem.

but overall i quite happy with the board as it have bundle with all good features like sata, gigalan, raid etc.

7. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

click here
    hope this can help lo...

8. Shamus MacNoob

Great thanks for the link to that post will be helpfull :)

9. Shamus MacNoob

Well here I am with the G7NNXP and I love it, was a very smooth set-up, WOW what a fantastic package great bundle with all the cables and brackets, it shows this is a high end mobo :D

10. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I think it looks like it's a really good bundle. Althought, I find the Abit IF7-S a little more desirable at the moment.

11. Shamus MacNoob

The NF7-S, based on nForce2 chipset (MCP-T + SPP), supports the latest AMD Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333/400 FSB, and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth. With the nForce2 MCP-T, the APU (Audio Processing Unit) delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 cinematic-quality sound and 3D positional audio to your home PC. By SoundstormTM technology, the NF7-S supports Real-time audio encoding delivering up to 256 simultaneous audio streams makes games and applications come to life. With cutting-edge features and ABIT Engineering, the NF7 series is the ultimate multimedia platform for the world.

Did you mean this one ?

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i like the nf7-s and a7n8x deluxe because they come with high-end eax-capable onboard audio (sounstorm, soundforce, whatever you call it). it's basically better than an audigy.

but nice board, kermit. :cool:

13. Shamus MacNoob

Thanks Taurus , I am very pleased with this board, The Msi K7N2G was also very good , my kids did not complain about getting a nice 2 week old nforce2 dual channel mobo thats for sure :rolleyes:

But I am now seeing that I am gonna have to spend some cash on a super power supply so I am going to start looking around for one , I guess it is like using the battery for a mini austin in a full stretch limo , this board has so many features and I see the difference in the amount of power being drawn from my PS compared to the Msi board , guess 350 watt just aint enough anymore , any suggestions on a good PS ???

14. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

i'm using a enermax 350 watts.... thinking of buying a antec 430watts but end up buying the chieftec dragon case which i quite satisfy with it! taking me a whole day to figure what is the problem with my board! it is the stupid 3com ethernet card which i have to put it to another slot...

anyway back to the psu... looks like my psu gonna die soon as everytime i plug an extra case light, all light will be blinking like it is not enough power (and the harddisk sounds like powering down)! so i guess i have to invest money on a better power psu lo!!!

15. Shamus MacNoob

Yes this board needs a solid power supply normal its got to much stuff on it

16. Shamus MacNoob

Well I will tell you my opinion I love it LOLOL

After 8 hours prime95 torture test is still running strong, connected to the net, all kinds of applications running, and sitting rock solid at 200 FSB and 2.4 Ghz :cool:

17. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Suggestion ........ try running your 400 mhz memory @ 333 clock speed.This is recommended by reviewers and gives a better memory performance than running @ 400 clock speed (via bios setting.)
    This works on the "7 vaxp" board with almost identical spec.