funny recovery console issue

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

this is VERY interesting

I had to use the recovery console to rebuild the boot on my new laptop

well, I thought it would be a better idea to use my old xp pro authentic cd to since I was rebuilding the 32 bit os boot and not the 64 bit which was fine

well, the authentic xp cd insisted on an adminsitrator password, though none exists...yes I hit enter anyway, it just lets you do that three times btw.

now, this happened on a previous laptop which I wound up trading back becuase I couldn't get intot recovery.

so this time, I had the 64 bit cd, so I fugured I'd use the recovery console from there since the console just goes to whatever os you want it to anyway.

well, this console didn't need my administrator password for the 32 bit os, it just went right in there when I hit enter.

reconfigured the boot, fixed everything, and all is well.

I just think it's pretty interesting that the 32 bit cd needs a password that doesn't exist.

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i've had that happen when i had pc problems, i used the recovery console like 4 times with no password as none is set, then when i opened it for a last time to delete a file it asked me for a password :speechless: :rolleyes:

3. emeritus

emeritus Beware the Monkeys!!!

I have run into that myself. It is pretty funny when you think about it. When you haven't even put in 'Enter' as your password.

4. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

This happens when sysprep is used with an original version of XP, sysprep changes the way passwords are stored in the registry. Most OEM's use sysprep to install windows. The problem is fixed with SP1 integrated on the install CD, that's why the 64bit XP CD works.

5. Perris Calderon

good info rickyC, thanx for that

is there a default password that will work?

6. brummie

brummie OSNN Addict

Xp home edition does not have an Administrator password by default. The Pro version creates one during the setup routine.

7. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

I don't think there is a default password, would be too much of a security risk.

Here's a little utility which let's you change/reset passwords on 2000/XP/2003 including the admin password.
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! And only if your comfortable with using such utilities. :nervous:

From the website:

Make a bootable floppy or CD and follow the instructions on the site.

PS. I hope it's okay linking to this

Perris Calderon likes this.
  8. Perris Calderon

I'm allready fine with my installation, I was just hoping there would be a default password if the issue arose for someone else

as far as a default password being a security risk, not really, since it would be the same as no password at all, which is the default now

great posts rick!