FTP Server Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I am running an FTP Server using G6, I am wondering if there is any other servers that are better or more easier to use. I am also wondering if there is an FTP server out there that will let me post a message that users will see when they log on. (As a popup window or something). Thanks in advance.

Heeter

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I find BulletProof/G6 pretty easy to use. If you want to try alternatives, you could check out Serv-U which is another popular one.

3. neoterixx

neoterixx Guest

Maybe Bulletproof, but it looks exactly like g6.

Sever -U was pretty good, I used to use that a lot. I think it was manufactered by Deerhead, or Deerfield.

4. Heeter

Sorry,

I guess I should rephrase that, G6 is really easy to use. I am having no problems with it. I am actually looking for something that has a few more options to it. Like that message posting option (If it exists).

Thanks for the replies so far.

Heeter

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

That's because G6 IS Bulletproof. The company that owned G6 sold it to Bulletproof about 2 years ago, maybe longer.

As for an FTP server that has a message board... I don't think one exists. Bulletproof is very secure and has a LOT of configurability. There are a lot of add-ons for it on the website.

6. Heeter

Thanks, Un4gIvEn1

I kinda figured that was non existant, G6 is very secure and user friendly as well. I didn't know about the add-ons, though. I am going to check it out. Thanks.

Heeter

7. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

I use Serv-U FTP... I have set it up for several ppl and I find it quite good and easy to use. Also it is very secure (it has some of the best ratings for security) It can do as you have requested as far as a pop up when a user logs into the server. You can even do it by specific users. It does logs also among other features.
    Well worth the $40 and great support thru their support email list.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

8. Heeter

Where can I go to pick that up? Sounds like what I am looking for. I wonder If they have a demo version, before I buy.

Heeter

9. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Well, let me elaborate on this one. You CAN send a message with almost any server... BUT depending on the client it may or may not send it in a manner that is noticable. Example: If you send it to a user who is using CuteFTP it will just become part of the log at the bottom of the screen. It all zips by so fast they will never see it. Hope that helps.

BTW... I just have to say. Bulletproof FTP can do everything that Serv-U can. It can actually do much more. It is JUST as secure as Serv-U. The VFS in Bulletproof is so much better too. I guess it's all a matter of preference...

11. Heeter

Well, I am have a trial version of Serv-u now. I have been playing around with it for a while. I think I am going to stick with the G6 on this one. I guess that I am pretty comfortable around G6 and hear nothing but good reviews everywhere about it. Thanks to all.

Heeter

12. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Like what ?? Dont just say it can do more, please give examples...