Fsb

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silky62678, Jun 29, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

If i increase the FSB but lower the multiplier to keep my CPU at 2400+ speed, will i see a increase since the FSB is higher?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yes.. you will...

3. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Re: Re: Fsb

Will it make the cpu temp higher?
    Will it increase my pci and agp slots, if so i will have to lock them or something

4. Sazar

Re: Re: Re: Fsb

I was assuming you would lock the multipliers... :) so that would protect your pci/agp slots...

temps may increase due to the high fsb clock... so recommend you monitor it.. perhaps do a burn in test using sisoft sandra...

5. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Im going to lower my multiplier. I always wondered how long should u run that test, overnight ?

6. Sazar

I usually run it for about an hour...

7. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

your motherboard automatically locks the AGP/PCI bus so you don't have to worry about it, you should be able to run it all the way to 200 MHz FSB if your RAM can handle it

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

afaik, the heat generated by a cpu is dependent only on it's core clock speed and voltage. so if you lower the multiplier and raise the fsb and end up with the same core speed, you shouldn't have an increase in temps.

but if i'm wrong, then the fsb shouldn't increase the heat output by much.

9. jumpy

jumpy Guest

I don't really think the burn in program from sandra is that great. prime95 is well known for its stability testing ability and I like to run it overnight at least. You can get it here
    What revision of the A7N8X is your board? I ask this because the earlier versions would often have problems reaching 200fsb. And even with the later revisions, it's luck of the draw. It should be printed on your motherboard.

10. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

I have revision 2.0

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Bios 1002 will support the 2500 Barton or go all the way to 1004 to support the new 400 FSB processors. Ya gotta love ASUS.