freezing problem in all games

C

cabmustang

i am unable to play any game because after about 5 secs after it starts my computer freezes. i have recently bought a new motherboard and processor. and that is when it started happening. i was able to play games fine with my pentium 3 and old mobo (although didn't try new games such as warcraft 3). i have tried formatting and starting from a clean slate and that didn't work.

my system specs are as follows:

pentium 4 1.6 GHZ
DFI mobo
geforce 2/ 32mb ram
300watt powersupply (don't know if that would matter)
493mb s/d ram
my cpu is running at about 108 degrees fairegnheit

any help would be very much appreciated

my cpu is running at about 108 degrees fairegnheit

before you lose it I suggest you to get a better fan.take your PC near an AC.let it cools it. and see what happens

Ok well you need all the newest drivers for everything thats a given .... sounds like vid drivers more than anything else what version are you using .... its not over heating thats for sure ..

Originally posted by Octopus
before you lose it I suggest you to get a better fan.take your PC near an AC.let it cools it. and see what happens

42C= 107 F ... thats not hot at all

Originally posted by Kermit
its not over heating thats for sure ..

It could be his vidcard overheating. Just check that your fan is still spinning on your card. Any o/c on your gfx card?

if there is no fan open the case and put your hand near the card it will be warm but not hot ... not all cards have a fan too bad they should....

ok, i felt the card. the fan is spinning, and it is a bit warm. i have not overclocked my card, and my vidcard drivers are the original ones. but i have updated my vidcard drivers b4 which didn't help.

Do you have xp pro or home? ..... another thing go to control panel /administrative tools/event viewer are there any errors either in application or system ? might be able to see something there ..... a long shot have you stripped it down ie take out sound card , or modem , or anything else and tried it with just the vid card, another idea is switch the ram around try it with one stick first and add sticks as you go, I know its alot of things but all part of trouble shooting ..... I would strip it down and gowith just the harddrive , vid card , and one stick of ram and work my way back checking after every new component

you could run DXdiag and post the results here for us to have a look.. start > run > dxdiag > save results to file > copy and paste results here..

naturally you want to have a look at drivers.. aside from vid, sound etc you may want to try different mobo drivers since they can have an adverse affect.. if drivers do not solve the issue you may have a bad piece of h/w (mobo, cpu, ram)..

how many watts is ur psu?
many people i know have had this prob?
they have small psu's and it can't handle all the power needed....
use mbm5 to see what the +5v is like? i think that's it.. anyway
below 4.8 in windows = bad

i'm not sure how to read mobo monitor. it's very confusing to me. but my power supply is 300 watt

hrm.. should be fine then i guess... sorry i really don't know.. and you're sure it's not a hardware thing?
tried testing the ram for errors?

havent tested it, but windows runs fine, and the right amount of memory is recognized so i don't know.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVidia Riva TNT2
Manufacturer: NVidia
Chip type: NV5
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028&SUBSYS_888810B0&REV_15
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4.dll
Driver Version: 5.00.2160.0327 (English)
DDI Version: Unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/7/1999 08:43:38, 530192 bytes
Driver Certified: Yes
VDD:
Mini VDD: nv4.sys
Registry: OK
DDraw Test Result:
D3D Test Result:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Live! Wave Device
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102&REV_08
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: emu10k1.sys
Driver Version: 5.00.2152.0001 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Certified: Yes
Date and Size: 10/15/1999 06:35:04, 214848 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Standard
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result:

both your video and sound drivers are very old.. I highly recommend you update both of them to something more current..

Well for what it's worth, I always see newer power supplies labeled as 'P4 ready'. Maybe you should buy a new brand name, appropriated labeled one locally (so you could return it if needed). Seems like all the newer stuff demands a good PS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back