FPS loss with XP

C

CyberJunkie

Hi
I have a PIII 800 with a Gforce2 ultra. My fps, since I installed winXP, dropped from 250 in average to 90.
I have all the drivers updated (mother board - asus cuv4x and the gforce with the detonators) and no way I can make my fps like they were.
Im a Q3 hardcore gammer, so I need all the fps I can get :). I dropped fps from 250 (Q3RA) to 120 max. On Q3F2 I dropped to 50 from 125.
Someone knows something I don´t? plz tell me before I give up and go install win98se or ME (at least untill I upgrade my cpu).

Thanks! :)

Yep, I used it.
Oh and I forgot to say that I´ve 512 MG of ram.

Should I do a winXP upgrade? It´s still the 2600 version.

um, i'm using this system(see below) and i get 180ish... your refresh rate??? might be messed up, i'm nost sure how that stuff works... but are you sure it was 250, or did it spike that high once in a while? i've seen systems faster then mine and they only get 200...

with your specs, there's no way you're getting 250fps! even the brand new geforce4 ti4600 won't give you 250fps!

if u want to improve fps, turn off vsync in your monitor/vid card settings...

I agree

with your specs, there's no way you're getting 250fps! even the brand new geforce4 ti4600 won't give you 250fps!

and Besides.. in every test I have seen and done XP does lose a bit of FPS from 98se, but the XP still kicks butt.....:D

I THIink you might have seen something wrong, i've only seen that kind of reading on a 4ig p4... and thats with nytrogen cooling... no normal system could do that though...
i would say, like we all have before that v sync is nessed up or something, or it shot up there from a hicup. every once in a blue moon my rig spickes to 200, but maybe every two weeks, if that...

more the 250fps in q3a is possible

um, correction, you can go behond 250fps in quake 3. i was playing with my girl firneds 900hmz/voodoo5 5500 system, and i turned the fps limit to 300. and what do we have mya? spikes up to 300ish every so often...
so i wne t home an tinkered with my config also, and low and behold, 300 was reached easily.

even with your FPS lost, the games are still more than playable. besides, the human eye cant really tell the difference anyways.

the refresh rate supports only drivers 27.31 below... Ihave 28.31 detonator drivers.

two questions

(a) is there a program that will work with the new architecure drivers

(b) if I downgrade (if so where can I find older detonator drivers) will I loose any major features? will the older drivers support GeForce4400?

P.S. I have GeForce4400 and I only get 60fps (my refresh rate max, according to windows.. is 80mhz). I used to get 72fps with a TNT2 RIVA. WTF is up? My fps_max is 100

just download the 28.32's from the front page, they are refresh rate compatible.

yeah loads of ppl are having that - but, u could try d3d (no doubt ur using openGL :) )

before u say "oh but r3n, d3d can only get a max of 10fps god dammit!" - i say, y not set the d3d options down from 'best performance' to half performance (i'm going of a riva atm so sorry if that was a bit vague)

for all the nvidia cards u can go Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > (then click the tab with ur card's name on it) > then goto Direct3D - then where it says 'peformance' (or something to that effect) - click the drop down menu and choose the option for 'blend' or anythig that isn't best quality :)

eh i duno, give it a try :p

Lowering your quality settings to get back to FPS you use to get isn't a Fix, it's a compromise. Thats like you taking your car to a dealer noticing when you get it back that it's a little sluggish and them telling you oh well just drive slower :p

lol, good analagy... yeah i surpose ur right tho :)

d3d blows and theres no way around it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back