Forms / Select / Help needed :)

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by SPeedY_B, Oct 21, 2002.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I am currently trying to make an easier way to select channels / servers for a Java IRC applet, and have decided to use 'select's
    But what i want it to do, is if i select EFnet in the first select, only #xperience will show in the next select.
    So basically only related channels appear once a server is selected...

Code:
    [i]Here's the form code so far, it just has manual selection at the moment[/i]
    [b]<form name=pie method="POST" action="ircwin32.php">
    <select size="6" name="server" style="background : #808080;	border : 1px solid #FFFFFF; color : #FFFFFF; font-size : 10px">
    <option selected value="irc.dynastynet.net">Dynastynet</option>
    <option value="irc.undernet.org">Undernet</option>
    <option value="irc.efnet.org">EFnet</option>
    <option value="irc.mystica.cx">Dropnet</option>
    </select>

<select size="6" name="chans" style="background : #808080;	border : 1px solid #FFFFFF; color : #FFFFFF; font-size : 10px">
    <option selected value="#speedy">#SPeedY</option>
    <option value="#blog">#BloG</option>
    <option value="#losttheplot">#LTP</option>
    <option value="#losttheplot #blog #speedy">ALL</option>
    </select>

<br><br>

<input type="text" value="Nick" name="nick" size="20" style="background : #808080;	border : 1px solid #FFFFFF; color : #FFFFFF; font-size : 10px">

<input type="submit" value="Go!" name="buttton" style="background : #808080;	border : 1px solid #FFFFFF; color : #FFFFFF; font-size : 10px">
    </form>
    [/b]

2. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Hmmm, i'm alittle lost, what do you mean "only #xperience will show" , where is #xperience in the select options???
    if your only using it as a bad example well then, what do you mean "related channels" related how?
    the ofcorce there is the option you are trying to hack the IRC applet on Xp-erience.com for your own use... than just download it for free.

3. SPeedY_B

no, im not using the applet from xp-erience, they use jIRC, and its not free, i already have it on my site, this is for a different purpose.

I mean, when efnet is selected on the left, only #xperience will show in the list (i know its not there atm!)
    when dynastynet is selected on the left only speedy/blog/ltp will show in the list
    when dropnet is selected only #projectdolphin will show

this is only the initial page which will pass variables onto the java applet itself and tell it where to go, which is why i want related channels on the right servers, selecting EFnet and #speedy will take you to a channel im not on, if you see what i mean....

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

are you able to use PHP?

5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Well an idea for a basic scheme is : remove the option of server select, leave only channels , give every channel a tag (in the applet i think, more logical) and by the channel tag Set apple to determine what server to join.

6. SPeedY_B

matt, yeah, sure am ;)