formatting HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sentme_mail, Jun 18, 2002.

1. sentme_mail

sentme_mail Guest

what can i use to format a HDD so that other people cannot recover any data from it?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

use windows to format it... just do not check the 'quick format' option.

doing a full (non-quick) format will completely wipe the harddrive.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

Try the website of who made the drive & see if they have a test tool, they normally contain a low level format tool that scrubs the disk overwriting everything and not just the clusters that link the data together. this will put the drive back to 'as new' with no partition information. In other words you have to FDisk it before it is recognised as a drive again.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

I just rememberd an app called Evidence Eliminator 5. does just that. can be set to scrub out 10 times :)
    I havn't looked into it since i went NTFS

http://www.evidence-eliminator.com/

5. w0lv3rin3

w0lv3rin3 The Source Political User

do in this order

format <drive>
    fdisk then delete every drive
    format <drive>
    when install operating system, ask the install to do a full format once again
    then convert that partition to NTFS and that should work!

6. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

lol what are you trying to hide??? ....... and from who? if its just from your mother lolol dont worry a format will do unless she is CIA...... otherwise it will need to be done with EE5 if I remember right it needs to be filled with 1,s and 0,s something like 35 times and wiped over and over the same method national security uses .......if your in deep dodo with the FBI hahaha you better make sure you wipe that sucker real good lol ..............

7. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Where does the deleted info reside on the HDD after a format?

8. w0lv3rin3

w0lv3rin3 The Source Political User

well trying to hide from CIA or FBI, basically that is impossible, they can retreve data from a HDD that has been phusycally dmg.
    only way to clean it good is to melt it for kill the disks

9. Gouk

Gouk Guest

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

The formatted data is on the drive in layers ....... even if you formatted 3 -4 -5 times its stilll there ....... there is a way to completly delete it .......its the same method national security uses and EE5 evidence elminator I think has it and its like I said 35 times filled over and over with 1's and 0's and wiped over and over cant remember but I think its something like 35 times written and 7 or 10 wipes ......................

11. Gouk

Gouk Guest

LOL!

Not that I got anything to hide but just curious as to how long such a process would take? :confused:

12. madman

madman Guest

HDD format

use a mil. spec. 7 format.. this will do all that you want will make all info.gone not even FBI/CIA can recover...the closest program avl. to your reg. user would be evi. elim. but set it to do 20 or more times!!

this will do basicly the same thing that mil.spec. 7 does but it must do it many more times!!

13. madman

madman Guest

NSA

the N.S.A. uses MIl. spec. 7... its the only program approved for and by the goverment!!!!

14. sentme_mail

sentme_mail Guest

will evidence eliminator spoilt the HDD??

15. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

If you want to get rid of data on hd remove platters and then get blow torch (plasma torch better) and begin to destruct platters in circular motion. Be careful and use proper saftey precautions. This is preferred method of disk wipe. You only wipe one time (not 7) and job done! Borris out...;)

16. brodie

brodie OSNN Addict

For the non-technical you can follow these easy steps to data deletion:
    1. climb tall tree or cliff
    2. throw HDD off said tree or cliff
    3. climb down, don't jump remember it's onlt the HDD you want to erase
    4. collect pieces and attempt reassembly of device

if it doesn' work the first time you can reattempt the procedure

17. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Better yet, feed your HDD some "BudWeiser" and it wont even remember what its stored in the past :D;)

18. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

No, these disk wipe utilities don't damage the drive... they just write data to them over and over again until what was there is no longer retrievable.

19. GraLk

GraLk Guest

Go here >>> http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/index.htm

It's free for a month, and in the security section under options, you can set it to 3+7+3 wipe, which will mess up even hardware recovery. But it WILL take a while. :D

GraLk

20. zoloto

zoloto Guest

to kill your disk

why do you think the navy went at their spyplane with hatchets and the like? BECAUSE THEY KNEW data distruction was almost completely impossible unless you physically destroy the disk.