Formating Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Android412, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

My computer got hit by virus (I think), basically none of the optional things start up anymore when I boot up. No biggie, it's been two years and I've never reformated so I figure it's about time anyway. Luckily my cd burner still works so I can back up whatever I need to. My question is, what all should I be backing up that I probably wouldn't think of? Obviously all my documents, my mp3's, my game saves, a list of all the programs (and there cracks) that i've downloaded and use frequently so I can get them again. Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of?

I'm doing thing Mon. or Tues. night so any help before then would be a great help.

thanks in advance,

Android412

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

internet favorites and address book...I always forget these.. :p

3. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Emails ..................?

4. CrazyBoyS

CrazyBoyS Me Crazy? NaH Never!

pictures?

5. breezie

breezie OSNN Addict

themes and wallpaper ^_^

6. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

:eek::rolleyes:

7. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

email settings. Not just emails. last time i formatted i saved all my emails but not the settings then had to try to remember 7 difffernt pop account details!! :)

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Unlucky mate.
    For those who do not already know, you can set Outlook to save all emails to a different folder/partition by changing the locaton of the storage folder.
    As for email 'settings' these will have to be exported through File>Export....

9. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

anything else? I'm doing this tonight. Hopefully I'll be back up within a day or two.

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Duno what else, but I would suggest a format using Win98 boot disk to make sure nothing is left on the HD. Also a good way to check to see if there are any errors on the disk itself coz scandisk/chkdsk with Windows ME/2k/XP won't fix errors as I have noticed on my HD recently.