Folders Under Temp Internet Files Missing

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fishinfool5, Jul 17, 2003.

1. fishinfool5

fishinfool5 Guest

While I can access the folders under Temporary Internet Files when those folders are on the primary NTFS C: drive, I can't access/see the folders under Temporary Internet Files when I move them to a different NTFS extended partition (F) ....Anyone know why?
    Thanks,
    Fishinfool5

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

First off, welcome to NTFS :)

Coming to your question: How did you move the temporary internet files folder to your extended partition? Did you just cut/paste it, or did you go through Internet Explorer and move it through the settings?

3. fishinfool5

fishinfool5 Guest

Went through Internet Explorer and moved it through the settings. Can't imagine cut and paste working...
    Fishinfool5

4. fishinfool5

fishinfool5 Guest

Net Ryder,PS Thanks for the welcome...and you are the first to respond to my question which has been asked on two other boards...for days. Again Thanks.

5. NetRyder

Yeah, I doubt cut/paste would work. Was just making sure though. ;)

Anyways, I moved my Temporary Internet Files folder to my extended partition and I get the same result. Can't see any of the folders in there, although it shows that 8 folders are present in the Properties window. Weird.

6. fishinfool5

fishinfool5 Guest

NetRyder,
    If I understand KB Article 308418, all I have to do is disable Simplified Sharing which is default in my XP Pro-not on domain system; then make appropriate Security Tab settings. I'll try that this weekend on the subject computer. One thing I'll also check is after setting up to view the folders, whether going back to Simplified Sharing, I again lose the ability to access the folders..

7. NetRyder

Great! :)
    Post your findings here. They might help others out in the future.

8. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Can you access the folders within Temporary Internet Files by typing the full path followed by "\Content.IE5" in the run dialogue?

The default would be

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

9. fishinfool5

fishinfool5 Guest

yoyo,
    Yes that method did work. Thanks. My files were moved to an extended partition (F), and using the appropriate path the folders displayed. Next step is to try to get my permissions set up on the F partition to automaticaly show the hidden content.ie5 folders. Just removing Simplified Sharing didn't work. The permissions are more complex than that...
    Fishinfool5

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Don't think it is a question of permissions. Windows handles the Temporary Internet Files folder (and some others like the "Downloaded Program Files" folder) in this strange way by default. Explorer shows you just the files but not the folders they are stored in and not the index.dat file. Strangely if you open the corresponding folder of another user account you can see what really is in there.
    It's uncommon that you didn't have that behaviour at the original location of the folder.

You could try to open the Content.IE5 folder as described above, go up one level and open the desktop.ini file in notepad. Remove the line
    UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
    Save. You should see the subfolders now in Explorer. If you delete or rename the file it is recreated after a reboot.

Disclaimer: Not fully tested. Don't think so but don't know for sure if this may have any unwanted side effects somewhere.