Floppy Drive Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bikemanAMD, May 15, 2006.

1. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD OSNN Junior Addict

Hi

I have a question regarding my floppy drive--it recently died. Should i replace with Standard floppy or Combo Card Reader/Floppy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Vanquished likes this.
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

It depends on your needs. Would you use a card reader? I think floppy drives are still a must have, but I personally wouldn't have a need for an 8 in 1 card reader.

3. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

I'd get a card reader, none of my computers have floppy drives they do have card readers though and they are fairly cheap.
    The way i see it, with email so easy now you dont really need a floppy drive.

-Jack

4. bikemanAMD

I may just get a standard floppy, I hard have a need for a card reader, but friend thought a card reader would be best..but I sorta don't think so, the one machine we have a card reader on, I don't even use it..but I do use floppy from time to time, for bios upgrades, and small file storage.

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

To further expand on Madmatt's point - you also should look at the cost difference. If a floppy is 10 or 20 bucks, and a card reader is less than 50% more, it may be a worthwhile investment if you currently have, or plan to get a digital camera/camcorder in the near future. The key to remember when a decision like this has to be made is what is your ROI (return on investment).

6. bikemanAMD

Very True, and I will determine which is the best way to go when I'm ready to buy for sure, am not rushing to buy, since this drive is not an emergency replacement like a hard drive would be if that died, or CD-Burner(which is gonna be replaced with DVD Writer when it does die). will research and decide firmly which way to go.

7. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Just a thought, but i dont use my card reader either, and i dont have a floppy but the few times i use it, i use it so i dont have to install any digital camera stuff, i just take the card out...

Do you have a local transfer station?

My town has one and if you do then you might consider checking there. my transfer station has a bunch of old pcs which no doubt have floppies... You might just take one from there to save the 20 bucks.

8. bikemanAMD

There is some local PC shops, and cheapest local floppy i can find around, is $23.99 (Sony) if it's in stock when I go to local store to buy it, if not I"ll just get whatever else is there, and live with it.

If it was any other drive, I would've replaced it immediately--or my Monitor when that died in November right on Thanksgiving, I went on Black Friday and got a new LCD immediately. Geez it was crowded those days.

Picked up Sony SDM-HS95 LCD monitor--19 inch.

9. kcnychief

Can get this one for $9.99 plus S/H from newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103116

Probably cheaper at other e-tailers too :)

10. bikemanAMD

Thank you Kcnychief, since my Case is beige, I only have to Pay $7.99 plus shipping for that Beige One--same brand, just different color. So I'll wait and get that then.

Well $7.99 thru New Egg lol, Officemax wants $23.99 for internal Sony Floppy drive.

11. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Don't forget that with XP you almost need a floppy to install onto a SATA drive (if you haven't slipstreamed the drivers).

I have a hardcano 13 (fan controller + card reader) and I use the card reader to transfer pic since its a hellava lot faster then going through the camera.

I wouldn't get one of those floppy/card reader combos.

bikemanAMD likes this.
  12. kcnychief

B&M Stores are always more expensive than online stores such as NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc.

B&M = Brick and Mortar (physical store presence).

bikemanAMD likes this.
  13. bikemanAMD

Yeah I decided not to get a Floppy/Card reader combo, and just get the floppy alone, and I don't Have serial ata drivers slipstreamed at all into my Windows XP CD, don't even have Serial ATA hard drive yet, but I plan on getting one when I eventually replace 60gb hard drive from 2001.