Firewire Networking

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Earthling, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Earthling

Earthling OSNN One Post Wonder

Hey guys (and girls), would anyone mind helping me out with a little bit of a problem here?

I'm having a PC and a laptop, connected to each other with a Firewire cable. Couple of weeks back, both machines were able to communicate with each other, transfer files, the whole deal.

Rather strangely, they refused to maintain a network connection only yesterday. The network connection would last for only a couple of seconds before going down again. Pinging proved this. In any case, I disabled and re-enabled the network connections, but nothing happened. Both connections are up but they just don't seem to able to ping the other IP.

PC:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Workgroup: Earth

Lappy:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Workgroup: Earth

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Thanks!

P.S. Both are freshly formatted machines.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

turn off both machines. with the firewire cable connected to both machines, turn on the PC. when it's fully booted, turn on the laptop.

still not working?

3. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Subnet masks ok ?

should,'t that be 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 :confused:

4. cpugeniusmv

either would work. they're both on the 255.255.255.0 mask.

5. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Well in my experience, firewire networks don't work to well. I don't use them now, but I have done in the past. Sometimes I found that they worked, other times they didn't. I kept having to unplug the cable from both computers and reconnect it until it started working.

In response to your questions, when you view the settings for the connection, you should get shown a list of IP addresses etc (not <unavailable>). This means that something is wrong and the network won't work. The connection should also show up in ipconfig /all.

I can't really suggest much apart from unplugging the cable then reconnecting. There is a piece of software (called something like Firenet I think) which makes the Firewire connection seem like a standard ethernet connection to the OS, and this may work better, although I've not tried it myself.

6. Earthling

cpugeniusmv: Nope. Didn't work.

<edit>tdinc: Tried FireNet but I kept getting 'Network cable unplugged'.</edit>

7. cpugeniusmv

you don't happen to have another firewire cable, do you?

8. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

* cough * wi-fi * cough *

9. cpugeniusmv

but wi-fi doesn't go as fast as firewire :)

10. Earthling

I do have another Firewire cable, but that's used for syncing my iPod with my lappy or PC.

I just don't understand why this thing suddenly refused to work for no reason.