firewalls

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by renakuajo, Sep 12, 2002.

1. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

what u recommend?

Tiny Personal Firewall 3.0 or Sygate Personal Firewall??

i have zone alrm pro but is giving me problem to use my network

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What about xp's built in one?

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

Sygate Pro is best - I have tried most of the rest. Don't rely on default settings though.

4. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

i have though of xp built in but the netwoprk that i have the other pc is a w98, and lots of people says that xo is not so good

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

XP's built in firewall should be okay for basic personal use. It lacks advanced features (which you may not even need) and does not block outgoing packets (such as trojan activity).

If you're really paranoid about someone hacking you, a hardware router with a built-in firewall/packet filter is your best bet.

I have a LAN at home, so the router serves both purposes for me.

6. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

u are right netryder and i was thinkin of that for my xp machine but what about for win98????

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Does the 98 machine have direct access to the internet or is the XP box an ICS host?

If the 98 box connects to the net thru the XP one, you only need to enable the firewall on the XP one, and your 98 box will be protected as well.

8. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

the win98 machine has direct access to the internet

i got this question:

my modem dsl is a zyxel 642me. the modem is the one that get the internet etc my ip never gets reveal, do i need the firewall???

9. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

i'm kind of confused, cause if i got to grc.com and run some of the tests like shields up, it shows an ip adress that is not mine, but it shows what i'm sharing, but if i run the ip agent then it shows my real ip and says that my pc is safe!! i'm confused

10. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

are you on a lan, if you are on the lan then sometimes the ip agent picks up the lan ip. The one that GRC finds should be the right one though.

11. frothymilkshake

frothymilkshake OSNN Addict

XP's firewall works fine, works too good for it's own good too! :p But overall it's ok, I"m satisfied with it.

12. DrMetallica

DrMetallica OSNN Senior Addict

you don't need a firewall, just disable netbios and printer/file sharing, there's nothing that can happan.

13. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

i used to have that but now i got a network and need netbios and file&printing sharing