Firewall Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

It seems that no matter which of the free Firewalls I use I have trouble sending mail using Outlook or Outlook Express. I have no trouble receiving mail. I set up to allow both Outlook and Outlook Express, but it makes no difference. As soon as I disable the Firewall the mail goes fine. Is there any chance that the Firewalls are being caused trouble by my Modem/Router Hardware Firewall?

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Ensure that outlook is permitted to access outbound port 110 TCP.

Your e-mail communication may also be intercepted by your anti-virues.

For example in the case of NAV it will intercept the mail and scan it before sending it on. In NAVs case ccApp.exe requires a rule allowing ports 25 TCP and 110 TCP outbound.

3. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

^^What he said^^
    ....It's prolly yer AV filtering the mail.

4. Capricorn

Thanks Guys, as soon as I disable the Firewall everything works fine. I had a call from a friend the other day, saying that he couldn't send mail, I told him to disable his Firewall (Kerio 2.1.5) and it worked for him as well.

5. Erbmaster

You have misunderstood what was said.,
    Reread. You shouldn't have to disable your firewall to read mail! :eek:

6. Capricorn

I don't think I misread anything. The anti virus is still running fine, and mail is both being sent and received, as long as the Firewall is Disabled. I uninstalled my Firewall, as soon as I reinstall I will take Enyo's advice and configure the settings as he suggested. I am running Avast anti virus which I have had no trouble with.

7. Erbmaster

I see,
    I just thought you were running round offering advice to your friends to disable firewalls to read mail. My mistake
    No harm done then :D

8. Capricorn

I sorted the problem with mail. It was the Firewall not asking me about the anti virus checking mail. It was set to ask, but wasn't asking, it was just blocking. I set it to allow and it seems fine.

However now I find that I cannot upload files to my Web Server. It allows me to access the Server Files, but when I try to upload it is getting blocked. If I disable Firewall I can upload files OK. I have checked the settings and my FTP software is set to allow, and when I try to upload I cannot see any applications being blocked. Any ideas?

9. koko

koko Got Root?

ftp uses port 21 usually. open port 21 in your firewall and everything should work fine.