Firewall Penetrated?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bretenn, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

hmm... after goin through LeadTest, it say my firewall are penetrated. I'm using Linksys Etherfast Firewall router... do i need to change any setting to the router?

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Nope you are allowing traffic on 80 i would guess which is what leaktest uses and you would not really want to block this :)

LeakTest is made for testing software firewalls not hardware devices.

Your fine :)

Do you use a software firewall to?

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

"Penetrated" is a bit vague to say the least. I hope LeakTest provided some more details?

4. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

nop... i din use software firewall...!!
    thanks for reply :)

5. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Its very concervative with helpful info but is old and quite useless now anyway.

It refers you to http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Its only a basic test, something like Robin Keirs firehole is nice s it uses DLL injection to show you even your software firewall is pants, coupled with NetCat is nice as you can change the port away from 80 and for incorrectly configured rule based firewalls you get to see just how big a issue it is.

A trojan i wont name came out a few weeks ago which uses DLL injection really well :huh:

Anyway your making me ramble :p

You may want to consider it, i know having the hardware in place is great but you have limted control over the apps that get out to the internet with that kind of device.

6. lechtard

lechtard Guest

You need to use a software firewall with a router to keep things from getting out - I am using ZAP with mine only because it is integrated with linksys ..

7. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

but my Linksys is a firewall router...
    hmm... do i still need the software...??

8. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Is it also integratable with the Linksys VPN routers? I saw a firmware screenshot that shows the integration, but when I downloaded the newest firmware for my router it doesn't have the options. Could you shed some more light on this, please?

9. lechtard

lechtard Guest

The firewall router is only to keep things from coming in - I have found in port probes that it does'nt keep everything out, this could be because I have DMZ enabled ...

But as for things getting out of your system you will still need a software firewall .. You will find in the security settings of your router ZAP and Pc-Cillan ... ZAP you will need to put the key in for it to work ... then you just install it onto your system and run it as a normal firewall ..

make sure you have the latest firmware also ... it does work with VPN routers, that is what mine is ..

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

A router should keep out those incoming packets ... disable DMZ and you should be fine.

11. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Yeah I was thinking that .. I have it enabled though for the online gaming and file sharing with my Chat clients ....

12. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, I need to enable DMZ when I use Messenger for video conversations. Other than that, it's always disabled.

13. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I have DMZ enabled all the time, but only to one PC, but then I havent done Voice or Video chats to home as parents dont have XP yet

14. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

I have the latest, but don't have that option. :huh:
    Latest Firmware

15. lechtard

lechtard Guest

what linksys router do you have ??

16. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Here are the pics with my router ..

Not having it in your router though should'nt really matter - Youcan still use a software firewall ... it will do the same thing ..

17. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

- A firewall router can block both incomming and outgoing traffic on a network level.
    - A (local) software firewall is needed to block traffic on an application level (app by app).

I get by with a firewall router (to block for instance Windows shares) and a well updated Anti-Virus software. With good AV, anti-spyware and common sense you won't need the extra firewall. IMHO.

18. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

BEFVP41
    I know that. :p