Firewall in a server only computer

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have a server only computer. No emails are answered, only time browser is opened is for XP to take updates. It is behind a router. It is a file server to other two computers, it is a very private FTP server, and now I am trying to configure an email server into it. OS is Windows XP Home. Do I really need a software firewall on this computer? Right now it does have a free version of Kerio in it, but is it really needed? It also has AVG free version for antivirus.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Hi Heeter. Generally no providing the services running on the system and properly configured and secure then your fine.

I do often suggest using TCP/IP filtering.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows200.../en/server/help/sag_TCPIP_ovr_secfeatures.htm

That way you can lock down ports and protocols without the need for third party tools or extra overhead on the server.

Kerio 2.1.5 is also a good choice if you want a packet filter firewall on the system.

Actually since you are behind a router there is no real need for a firewall, unless you don't want any information getting out ... The firewall will keep things from coming in but will not keep things from going out ...

Thanks, Enyo.

I once heard about that option. TCP/IP filtering. That will be a great read and something new for me to configure. (I love configuring stuff) I will also check out that Kerio version. I think the one on mine right now is KPF3.5, which I am pretty sure is useless for this setup. Packet filtering would be much better than a general firewall, especially a free personal one.

Heeter

What a great read,

I am really learning alot from there. Might even answer the major configuration problems I am having hosting my own email server. I have been at that thing for the last two weeks with no success. Oh well.

I gotta continue reading.

Thanks a million, Enyo.

Heeter

Anytime Heeter :)

For sure you want to remove KPF 3.5. The 3 series never really existed ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back