Firewall for Simple Plain Usage?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by skamaraju, May 18, 2002.

1. skamaraju

skamaraju Guest

Hi,
    I work with a simple Home PC loaded with XP Home. I connect to net using a LAN connection or a Dial-up. There is nothing important on the system that might be stolen. I use XP connection firewall and Norton System Works 2002. Do I need a firewall protection like Zonealarm for my usage.
    Sushil:eek:

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

It is always a good idea to have a personal firewall. I recommend Norton Internet Security 2002, it will intergrate with Norton SystemWorks. Personally, I use it and have had no problems whatsoever, nor have I had any attempted hacks.

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

no, you do not need an after market firewall, just enable the xp wall, which is rated excellant at keeping hackers out, personally, while I'm on dialup, I don't even enable that, but you will not get better protection from hacks then the internal wall, the only thing that firewall doesn't do is keep programs form getting out, just run ad aware, and you should be just fine

4. skamaraju

skamaraju Guest

Hi
    May I know what is ad ware? I am not good at computers. I am a Medical Doctor by Profession, a Radiologist.
    Sushil:confused:

5. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Depends of what kind of activity you have on internet . If you're a fan of chat's and instant messagers you should use a good firewall . Yes , Norton Firewall is the one of the best but has some inconveniences : new versions of sub-seven " couldn't wake it " .

6. Mr-Q

Mr-Q Guest

I always recommend people who hold their computer and especially their data dear, to have a Firewall running at all time.
    Which one to run, well, there will be as many suggestions as there are programs; try them out and use the one you feel best suit your needs. Personally I use ZoneAlarmPro 3. Just use one.

Adware is where a program shows an Ad while running, similar to those banner ads you see online.

*MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU*

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

all you need to thwart hacks is the internal xp firewall, unless you also want to stop your computer from accesing the internet, that's all you need...but you should run ad aware regardless, and especially if you are using the xp firewall

8. shiatsu

shiatsu OSNN Addict

It removes spyware! Some programs you download will install spyware on your computer without your consent and Ad-Aware is designed to get rid of it/them.

You can find it at..... http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/index.html

As regards the firewall I have used Zone Alarm for a long time without any problems. Its free and unlike the XP Firewall it intecepts unauthorised traffic in both directions. Get the latest version 2.6x for XP.

Alan.