finally decided to use ready boost, feedback please?

perris, since you're trying to speed up Vista how about Disabling the Aero Glass? I think the effects look cool but disabling it really speeds up your computer. Here's how you can disable it, right-click Personalize on your desktop, click "Windows Color and Appearance", and uncheck the "Enable transparency" box. Along with ReadyBoost I think this will make your computer run much faster!
I wasn't really trying to speed the computer, I saw an 8 gig thumb drive for cheap and I don't have much else to do with it

but I am glad I did, very nice gain here

disabling aero does nothing for pc speed most vga cards these days can handle the accelerated desktop with no impact on ui performance too. Transparancy is hardware accelerated - again no impact.

Vista Aero can take up easily 15% of your CPU and RAM usage. Of course this depends on your specs but it will always slow down your system no matter what.

no it wont :)

Its managed by the GPU on your video card.

If it really is using that much cpu and ram you should not be running vista.

Right now dwm.exe is using 0% cpu and 24MB ram on my pc.

no it wont :)

Its managed by the GPU on your video card.

If it really is using that much cpu and ram you should not be running vista.

Right now dwm.exe is using 0% cpu and 24MB ram on my pc.

True in the case of PC s having GPU.... but i dont have one.. :(

use hybernate or standby, both of these solutions cost less then turning your box off since waking up the box takes less electricity then a full reboot

Please tell me how hibernate costs less than turning a machine off, assuming off course that starting a box from cold-boot takes more electricity. Standby is not an option since it still takes up electricity to be in standby mode.

Please tell me how hibernate costs less than turning a machine off, assuming off course that starting a box from cold-boot takes more electricity. Standby is not an option since it still takes up electricity to be in standby mode.
standby uses less to sleep then it takes to reboot from a cold start if you are going to use your computer the next day or the next morning for sure

hybernate doesn't use any electricity at all and takes less time to boot

Last edited:
There would be a spike when you turn a machine on but no extra cost.The machine is drawing power anyway unless I physically kill the power at the mains (or use the off switch on the PSU) to run all the standby power stuff.

There would be a spike when you turn a machine on but no extra cost.The machine is drawing power anyway unless I physically kill the power at the mains (or use the off switch on the PSU) to run all the standby power stuff.
ms themselves;
If I'm not planning to use my computer for awhile, should I shut it down or put it to sleep?
If it's just a few hours or even overnight, it's usually more efficient to put your computer to sleep

most cases you are gonna use less electricity over the sleep period then what it takes to rebboot from cold

then consider the added electricity of non productivity in your work envirnment and it's a no brainer, (for instance the lights are on, heat, air conditioning while you are waiting for a full reboot over a wake up from sleep)

that's a huge unreported expense unless of course you can multi task during the reboot process which most of us do but there is the less productivity factor to consider never the less

microsoft recognises a power savings of shut down over sleep if the computer is going to be out of use for a few days, there is no savings if the computer is going to be used the next morning and almost definately uses less to sleep then shut down and you will almost definately save money on power using sleep over full shut down in the next morning scenario

Last edited:
Surely it uses more in sleep than power-off standby?
sleep is another word for standby, power off is a total down or hyberante

it's not going to use more in sleep or standby then power off if you're going to work on the computer the next day, you are gonna save money on power using sleep over power off rebooting takes alot of power, coming out of standby takes no power, the amount of power used over night to maintain ram is smaller then the amount of power to reboot

hybernate is probably more power consumption then sleep if you are gonna work the next morning but I don't know for sure, it is certainly less electricity then a full reboot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back