finally caved, got me some vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

dropped my primary lappy, dropped my backup lappy, got a new lappy

dual core, amd turion 64, 150 gig hardrive, I don't even know how fast this hardrive is or who makes 17 inch screen had me hypnotized and I just bought it withojut too much thought

L1=64. L2=1 gig

2 gig dimm memory

I must say, this computer is surely faster then my xp which also had two gigs and I'm certain it's not the processor so for now I'm thinking vista is faster then xp

anyway, I have to activate "aero" if I want it

do I want it?

what should be the first thing I do with this box?

2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Format and install XP.

:D

LeeJend likes this.
  3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Aero is nice, Vista is nice. My only gripe is its inability to remember my folder settings.

I love the network profiles (especially on my notebook). I also love the "Snipping Tool".

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

ROFLMFAO. Reps for that one. :)

As for Aero on a Laptop, it requires the video to run in 3D accelerated mode and could eat your battery and cause heating issues.

5. Perris Calderon

is there a program that vista can use to partition...like partition magic?

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What processor did you have earlier?

The perf increase is probably because of Vista's improved memory management, including SuperFetch; it shows on systems with 1GB or more RAM (even more so with 2GB). People gripe about less free RAM, but that's what makes the system more responsive when you have lots of things running - less paging.

If the system is capable of it, why not? I'm personally not a fan of the non-Aero theme in Vista at all. :ermm:

It's not really an issue. If you're running on the correct power profile (Balanced or Power Saver), the "glass" effects are turned off automatically while the system is on battery power. Many mobile GPUs also clock down and reduce power consumption automatically (ATi's PowerPlay, for example, kicks in on my Tablet when it's not plugged in).

If I remember correctly, Tom's Hardware or some other similar site formally tested Vista's power consumption and published numbers, and while it was slightly higher than XP's, it's not as bad as one would think. :)

The built-in Disk Management tool (diskmgmt.msc) in Vista can expand/shrink non-system volumes. To resize the system volume, you'll need something like Acronis Disk Director or a gParted LiveCD.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  7. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

if you're sure it's not the other specs (faster ram, better hard disk, for example) then probably because it's new.

8. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

All i have to say is stop dropping laptops lol

9. Aprox

If I recall correctly vista has a pretty handy disk management utility.

Also, dont get me wrong Vista is a great OS... its just that the driver issues and software incompatibility was to much for me. Especially the 25%+ drop in game performance, some say its as little as 5% but thats the exception and not the rule.

Anyways, Enjoy! its super shiny! :)

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I have no driver issues.

None of my software is incompatible.

6GB of RAM on my rig and it really flies. I really, really love this now :) I've spent years trying to get XP to be as fluid and responsive as my vista rig is now :)

My vote is now very firmly in the Vista64 with >=4GB ram camp :)

11. paNix3d

paNix3d OSNN Junior Addict

i cant seem to find my aero theme, i thought it was there and i thought i was using it, but now im not, any ideas?

12. Perris Calderon

so most xp programs run on vista?

are 32 bit xp progra,s running on 64?

13. Aprox

Well good for you :) I ran into numerous issues when I was running Vista, I would imagine most are fixed by now though.

14. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Applications that install kernel-mode components (for example, anti-virus and defrag apps, virtual CD/DVD apps like Daemon Tools, etc.) or shell extensions need to be specifically written to support a 64-bit OS. Almost any other 32-bit application should work properly without modification.

Most apps that were built for XP should also work in Vista. Some of them might fail if they attempt to write to protected areas of the system (Program Files, Windows, HKLM, etc), but this isn't very common and can usually be worked around by running the app with elevated privileges (Run as administrator).

Almost all the apps I use myself were built for XP (there really aren't many Vista-only apps out there anyway), and all of them worked or were updated to work properly with Vista. As always, your mileage may vary. :)

15. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

My PC spends 90% of its time playing games. Most of which will never be patched to be vista friendly, but all of which run fine with vista.

The rest of the time is video/music playback, photoshop, etc.

It's been similar to moving over to dual screens in the fact that I'm wondering now why I didn't spring for 64bit and more ram sooner!

16. Perris Calderon

ok, so does avg work in vista?

what are you guys using...I already found a huge bug in vista, how do I report?

17. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I use NOD32. Using AVG is like using a paper towel to plug a water leak...

As for your bug - call MS :)

18. Perris Calderon

are there more viruses in vista then xp?

cuz I haven't seen avg fail on any box I've intalled it...I know nod is better but it's not free which is always good.

I laugh at the 1500 horesepower corvettes...unless they are all wheel drive there is no way ever to use those horsepower.

is there some reason in vista avg isn't as good as it is in xp?

19. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

AVG isn't good period :)

If you want free and superior grab AOL's Active Virus shield - its kaspersky but free (which makes it better than nod32 on two counts :) )

20. Perris Calderon

I think it's an add on for additional fee