Final Fantasy 7 / Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Jaythediv, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Jaythediv

Jaythediv OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi, I'm really sorry if this is inappropriate.

But I recently bought the pc version of final fantasy 7, and it won't let me use my graphics card(6800gt), instead it forces 'software renderer', i think because it fails on being able to do '8-bit palettes'.
    I have downloaded a patch for nvidia cards, but it's very old, and only for riva and TNT cards - it screws the graphics up on mine. It shows 3d objects fine, but the backgrounds go completely black and the writing is distorted.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a newer patch, or way to make it work properly on my card (software rendering looks so bad, and i remember the backgrounds being so nice...:cry:)

If this shouldn't be here, please any mods delete it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Thread titled modified.

Please be more specific with your thread titles so other users know what the thread is about. Thank you.

3. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

I wonder if you make the game win98 compatible if that will help.

4. Jaythediv

Sorry about that - and cheers for changing it :)

"I wonder if you make the game win98 compatible if that will help."
    Cheers mate, but i've tried that and it doesn't help.

5. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Its because the card is too new , I never found a work around when I had the problem , you could try older drivers alot older, there might be a way to edit a file to add your videocard as one listed in the games database of cards, not sure if that is possible though.

6. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

do you have a copy of win98, how about just creating a dual boot to play the game within 98.

is Ms giving it away free now.

if not i have a copy you can have.

7. Jaythediv

That's very generous of you - thanks for the offer, but it's not that big of an issue (I can still play in software mode) and I think it's a problem with my graphics card not supporting the 8-bit paletted textures or whatever.

Looking about i found another site which said that newer graphics cards don't support it, so you just have to play in software mode.

Thankyou very much for all the help though :)
    Guess i'll just have to make do.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

THe game was written to work best with 3dfx voodoo2 and voodoo 3 - that fact it worked with anything else back then was a bonus. You wont get it working now.