File sharing problem with 2 xp pro computers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ToddM, Sep 28, 2002.

1. ToddM

ToddM Guest

Hello,

I have a desktop and labtop both running xp pro networked using a hub and stardard
    cat 5.

Anyway my problem is that both computers see each other and the desktop can get any
    file from the labtop however, the labtop cannot seem to get newly shared files from
    the desktop, older files it sees and uses just fine. In the network neighborhood
    window for the desktop it shows the newly shared files but when I try to access one
    I get a "File not found error".

I've tried reinstalling the networking components and changing machine names and
    disabling norton personal firewall on both machines.

Any ideas short of re-installing xp pro on the desktop and starting over from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

2. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

what protocols do you have installed??

oDin.

3. ToddM

ToddM Guest

Network items installed:

Yep sorry about that I should have put it in the first post:

Both machines have the following services/protocols installed:

client for MS networks
    service advertising protocol
    file and printer sharing for MS networks
    QOS packet scheduler
    NWlink netbios
    NWlink IPX/SPX/Netbios compatible transport protocol
    TCP/IP

Thanks

Todd

4. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

ok, first off. you don't need that QOS packet schduler. unless you use it i suggest you uninstall it. will save you a couple of megs ram. now, make sure both computers are usesing the same frame type for ipx. i suggest 802.3 since it has built in error checking. try unshareing all your shares, reboot and reshare them. also make sure that the usernames you are using exist on BOTH machines. if your on your desktop, using the username bob, and trying to connect to a share on your laptop. the bob account has to exist on the the laptop as well. and needs to have at least read permissions to the shared folder. also, try connecting via the run command.....start -> run -> type "//computername/sharename". or try mapping drives to the shared folders on either computers.

hope this helps
    oDin.