Fellowship of the Ring - HD vs DVD

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by VenomXt, Mar 24, 2006.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html (Cursur over the images to see the diffrence.)

Sorry i cant link the images so your gona have to go to the site. Really kinda cool.

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

It really brings out the minute details such as hair. Although the HD images seem darker.

In the end only the hardcore fans will really care.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

That's pretty impressive.

4. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

HD pictures are slightly clearer but way too dull and dark,I'd have to stick with the originals

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

the HD ones look sooo much better, dunno where this dull and dark comes from. Look great

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The Balrog looks pretty stunning though..

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The picture is a different hue/shade/brightness BUT better detail.

The colors actually look nicer to me in some shots, not quite as over-bright.

However the shots are slightly off in sequence for quite a few of them, so keep that in mind.

All-in-all, I wouldn't mind something like this. All I would need is a gigantic tele to watch it on.

verbosus likes this.
  8. Evil Marge

I'm just happy to have a tv,the little telly in here is a cute black and white one :D

9. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That is simply amazing picture. Although I'm not overly surprised, as I have a HDTV on my desk at work and get to watch anything sports related in Hi Def all the time. Watching the NCAAB tournament lately has been a real treat :)

I want one really bad for home, just have to stay focused and save for the things that matter atm, like wedding and house.

I also noticed some of the HD pics were a bit darker and out of sequence. They started off better but seemed to get worse towards the end.

10. verbosus

verbosus VERBOSUS

Wow nice job on the duplicity of these technologies.

DVD vs HD
    Although technically a different field of application, the science of Film based Photography plays a roll here, although the differences can be linked to limitations in each ones respective technologies.

A more complete picture takes into account saturation.
    The images used on these pages are the result of technically limited saturation processes.. The image on top is more fully saturated, and the one on the bottom is less saturated.
    More saturated colors are also considered more bold and tied to emotions, while unsaturated ones are softer and less striking.
    Saturation, is the amount of gray in a particular color.

A color with more gray is considered less saturated, while a bright color, one with very little gray in it, is considered highly saturated. The amount of saturation does not affect the basic hue of a color and it also is unrelated to the value (amount of light or darkness in a color.) For example, if we take away the colors in an image, the tonal values will remain. However, taking away the colors themselves will make the image completely unsaturated. A more saturated color is also called a more 'pure' color because it is undisturbed by gray.

Any way that’s my take on the issue

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  11. Petros

Petros Thief IV

It looks nice...when you look at the DVD version, it seems like an out-of-focus version of the HD :D

12. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

no offence to the guy who did the comparison, but he doesn't know very much. i dont recall dvd res going any higher than 720x576, where'd he get a 852x480? im thinking its an mpeg4 encode he's comparing it to. its also stupid to capture frames with different software which use different decoders which means different colour-brightness-saturation levels, not to mention deinterlacing. png wouldve been better than jpg, especially as he was contemplating using bmp. also i'm not so sure he took into account that its the I frames that must be compared.

lol :D

not trying to be mean though, just tellin it like it is. for some real sd vs hdtv comparisons, search forums like http://dtvforum.info :)

13. Evil Marge

Just remember no matter how good the quality of the picture,no matter how much you pay for a tv the majority of programmes are still crap childish rubbish :laugh:

14. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Very true :D

15. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

hd looks nice, very sharp, yeah you could make them dance lol

16. bmontini

bmontini OSNN Junior Addict

HD is awesome, wonder what this would look like on HD DVD or Blu-ray when available.... hmmmm