Favourite Applications

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Bman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Hey guys,

I just moved my system to Ubuntu 12.04. Leaving Windows for good (at least that is the plan) and wondering what your most used, favourite, awesome apps are for Linux?

Or even tricks/tweaks.

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I shouldn't, but I just have to...

Wine

;)

SMPlayer, GIMP, Thunderbird

3. Bman

Yea Wine has gotten much better over the years, but there isn't much I need for it. The only thing is Teamviewer uses it, but it has it's own version of it.

I am a web based Gmail guy, GIMP is awesome (though much more complicated coming from Photoshop) and I do enjoy SMPlayer but I am giving VLC a try this time around.

Anymore :)

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I went to Mac to Leave windows for good, but found it imposible to completely leave it because most of what I do for my business has to have windows installed. So I just have windows installed on bootcamp, with VMWare as the portal so I can easily switch between it and Mac without having to reboot.

*Although I am currently considering switching to Parellels because VMWare is a resource pig ..

Note: I've tried that wine stuff also. It uses Java and is more of a resource pig than VMWare...

5. Bman

Yea I am glad I don't need anything from Windows anymore, no business stuff, no anything.

There are a few programs that I kinda miss, because I used them for so long, but not needed.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I was the same way with the programs. I still haven't found anything that replaces Tag&Rename yet .. Sigh ..