FAT system?

How do I scan disk for errors on XP Pro and If i do it what will happen?

piece of cake

right click your c drive, and go to the Tools tab :)

it's called "Error Checking"

click 'check now' button then the options and click start :)

FAT32 vs NTFS

FAT32 is faster but less secure. And Goku, he said NTFS stood for NT File system. He was right. NT stands for New Technology. Thus your comment was superflous. You're slippin man! ;-) Can you tell someone pissed me off at the grocery store today?

Wrath

explain again?

That what is on? Your current XP installation?

Right click "My Computer" and Select - Manage.

You'll see something that says "Disk Management" In the left window :)

It says its on the System, FAT32, is this good or bad?

both

fat32 is faster, but less secure
NTFS is more secure, but slower

but if you have anything over a 350Mhz computer you won't notice the slow down.

If you want to convert from Fat32 to NTFS it's a one way street. Meaning you can't convert from NTFS to Fat32.

There's an NTFS conversion software out there (or ms program) but I'm not familliar with them.

Alrite well its fine like it is now, I WANT THE FASTEST. what u mean less secure, less security?

NTFS

The NTFS file system for Windows XP Professional is faster and more reliable. NTFS has no dumb error's and error fixing disk scans if you shut down improperly. FAT32 is just a different file system that has some what a lower performance.

NTFS ALL THE WAY!!! :D

NTFS is definatly better than FAT32 file system. You can ask anybody. :)

*sigh*

with the NTFS, you have security enhancements in the file system. With Fat32 you do not. This is how you are able to set security permissions so precicely. XP was designed to run optimally with NTFS, that's why it's better.

But my statement previously, was correct.

On older systems running NTFS, it was noticeably slower, but more secure. Once computers became faster than 350 to 400 MHz you didn't notice and couldn't tell the performance differences (it was literally to the hundereth/thousandths of a second) With the improvement of NTFS into version 5 (Hence NTFS5), they increased performance speed and reliability. Too bad it took this long to make a file system more reliable than what they've had previously. Now if they'd get their operating system up to speed.....

Re: NTFS

Originally posted by ReC0iL
The NTFS file system for Windows XP Professional is faster and more reliable. NTFS has no dumb error's and error fixing disk scans if you shut down improperly. FAT32 is just a different file system that has some what a lower performance.

NTFS ALL THE WAY!!! :D

actually it does at times, and has periodically.

Next time I will remember to put it on the NTFS partition. It's on the FAT32 right now and I don't feel like converting it over. And yes my puter is morea dn 300 or 400mhz so I'm ok to use the NTFS...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back