fascination with football games?

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
why are people so fascinated with football games? i mean...... look at Madden games..... there's what, a brand new one on a yearly basis? the only thing that EVER changes.... is the graphics get a bit better..... collisions get a bit better, team rosters are changed due to traded/new players on teams..... that's about it. In the picture.... you see quite a few people lined up at midnight at my local Wal-Mart. the sad thing is..... i live in a town where you wouldn't really expect people to be that heavily into games that they'd line up at midnight..... and it's not a very heavily populated town. all those people lined up for Madden 2007. it's freakin crazy. a friend of mine and i were laughing like crazy.

side-note: as you may or may not be able to see in the pic..... apparently the people who were lined up to buy Madden '07 were dumb as bricks. why? because the two people who were back at our very TINY electronics section said, while pointing down the aisle along where the games and stuff were, "those of you who are here for Madden 2007, make a line down this way, and then go to the left". instead...... it seems like the people who were standing in line heard "form a line 2 feet down from this register, and make a left around to the other register". So basically, they just went from the line starting at the register on the right and wrapping to the register at the left....... to starting at the register on the left, and wrapping around to the register on the right.

intelligent people, aren't they?

P.S. sorry for the crappy quality..... didn't quite have my digi-cam on me. used my cell phone.

Attachments

• 08-22-06_0001.jpg
    08-22-06_0001.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 113
well, from my own perspective.. it's fun to whip your friends.. sports games seem to lend themselves well to the fun of beating your friends (granted, most sports games are geared towards men.. although there was a female co-worker of mine that got quite good at FIFA on PS2..) It does go beyond just the madden/nfl games (although that is the most popular right now). I remember way back getting NBA Live 95 tournaments going in the dorms on the old Genesis systems..

As for why get the newer versions.. the rosters do actually have a large part of it, in some ways there is a very scaled down feeling of an RPG in some of the football games. There are some changes that are made to gameplay as well.. ie: truck stick, super star mode, the dreaded passing cone.. enhanced AI, new playbooks, etc.. beyond just the graphics.

just doesn't seem worth it to me..... especially for another $50+ every year. can just as easily whip your friends in Dead or Alive, Halo, Fear, etc... and it doesn't necessarily have to take an extended period of time like football games do.

can just as easily whip your friends in Dead or Alive, Halo, Fear, etc...

Ok but look at what you yourself wrote...

and the list goes on and on and on...

EDIT: In NO particular order:

DOOM
Hexen
HexenII
Quake
HL
HL2
QUAKE2
QUAKE3
Counter strike
Counter strike source
FEAR
Halo
Halo 2

do you see?

The same thing applies to these, a new one is out every year...
enjoy what you enjoy, but remember, entertainment; just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder...

:D

Mike A!

Last edited:
I love Madden 2007, and fitz is right it's all about bashing in your buddies :D

New game is awesome, some cool new features and controls :)

It's sad sad to see Sega's football game go away, though. Their commentary and graphics had Madden's beat by a mile. Don't get me wrong, I love Madden's depth, but they haven't innovated at all in graphics and commentary for five or six years. And the Madden heads are too big! Their helmets are enormous compared to what real football players' look like.

but mlakrid..... i don't really remember any sequel of any other game coming out one year after another. the Episodic content for HL2 will probably be out with a year or less between each..... but those are expansions of the storyline with a few graphical improvements here and there. even so, sequels for most games typically take 2-3 years. HL and HL2 had like..... an 8 year separation. there's a new Madden game every single year. the last football game i ever bought i think NFL Blitz! 2000..... don't remember..... but it was for N64.

the NHL and NBA Games do, and there are several variances of Baseball games that do as well (come out every year)

You'll notice the EA games don't change a lot, they have some incremental improvements.

You'll notice most of the commentary stays the same. It's no wonder they make a killing.

It's a key reason I moved away from Madden and FIFA to racing games like Colin Mc Crae and NFS. More fun.

but mlakrid..... i don't really remember any sequel of any other game coming out one year after another. ...even so, sequels for most games typically take 2-3 years. HL and HL2 had like..... there's a new Madden game every single year. the last football game i ever bought i think NFL Blitz! 2000..... don't remember..... but it was for N64.

No no, you are still not getting my point...

Everyone who has a genre of game they prefer, tends to buy that style of game repeatedly...

SO if First Person Shooters are yours, then you are likely to buy every brand new FPS that comes along...

so you buy fear now and next year a new "better" FPS comea along... I was not comparing the games and their sequels I was simply showing in FPS how many names and those were simply the ones I had... Minus Fear it looks kewl I just didnt see the point, I had JUST finished QUAKE4 that was my first return to FPS games in a while....

i actually don't buy that many FPS's..... only if it's one i know i like. Bought HL2 the day it came out..... but wasn't sitting in any 24-hour store 45 minutes to midnight just so i'd be first to get it. went to the mall half an hour away to buy it, but the EBgames didn't open till a while later. my friend was with, and his girlfriend needed something, or wanted to come to allentown with us.... i don't remember which..... didn't wind up getting HL2 until like noon-ish.

i just don't see the point in waiting around for the very minute a game is released..... be it midnight or if the maker of the game set a specific time to release the game. it's not like the game will never be there again if you don't get first dibs.

ElementalDragon, you are do the same as the guys who are buying madden, it just that sports games always sell fast, where FPS, everyone has to check with there friends. Sports games are just what they are, football players love to hit, and score, as snipers love that one shot one kill. Myself I love them both, especially being I was a sniper in the army. If the greatest FPS came out today and you really wanted bad enough you would be in that line too.

no..... probably not. wasn't Doom 3 supposed to be awesome? had a boatload of hype before it came out? after coming out, lots of people hated it.

I'd rather wait a week or two to buy a supposedly good game than wait in line for quite some time to buy it the second it's released. or just order a game on Steam so it downloads right away.

For which platform? And how is it?

XBOX, not the 360 but the original.

I actually left it on my desk at work yesterday so it's still sitting here laughing at me.

Oh I'll have my revenge on this game, wait for the weekend.....

From what I have seen/heard though, really sweet new features. You can go into the Combine and run the 40-yard dash, have benching contests, etc.

Can also control linebackers individually - seems awesome!

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back