Fans or no Fans?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eagle710, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Eagle710

Eagle710 OSNN Senior Addict

My monitor when working for a few hours gets pretty hot i was wondering if i could put a regular fan the ones we use around the house beside it to keep it a bit cooler? Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what to do ... have a fan or not??? angle or which direction to blow at? My monitor is NEC Multisync LCD 1770GX.

Thanks

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I would not worry about it too much. My LCD also gets very warm.

If you are worried, a fan pointed at it in such a way that the air gets moved through the holes that have been cut in the plastic by the manufacturer is good. Also, just getting it away from a wall by two inches or so will help as well.

muzikool likes this.
  3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Cooler is always better. keep the fan about 12 inhces away. You can get a 6 inch diameter fan for $5. Just run it at low speed and it should help and be fairly quiet. Make sure the fan is not blowing hot air from an air duct or the PC onto the monitor.

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

heh. you should see plasma tv's if you're worried about heat from an LCD. my parents have a 50" widescreen plasma HDTV..... it's like it's own little space heater. Then there's that really huge TV from i forget what company... think it's like 100".... has like 10 fans on the back that look like case fans to cool it.

5. Eagle710

OK thank you for your advice .. not sure yet what i will do ill see how moving it a little further from the wall will help if not then i will get a small fan.

Thanks

Eagle

6. Eagle710

Ok My monitor has been for just today done this thing where the screen goes black for like 3 seconds then comes back again. No loss of signal lost because the light remains GREEN instead of YELLOW. ANy advice?

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Yup, if it is still under warrantee call the manufacturer. The inverter board that powers your backlight is dying. The backlight in all the LCD's besides the ones powered by LED's are powered by a certain high voltage, and not only that, but they have to take the DC power and convert it back to AC power. So that part is slowly dying a horrible death.

Happens all the time, I have one 19 " LCD monitor sitting somewhere in my room that has a bad inverter board. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it will just not work.

8. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

all my stuff is near a window 24/7 - so all is rather cool most of the time :)