External HDs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sy64004, Mar 31, 2005.

1. sy64004

sy64004 OSNN Addict

I'm looking to buy an external HD for backup and moving files from one computer to another. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look out for and if there are certain brands to avoid?

I've just been looking at a Western Digital Essential 80GB USB2.0 and it looks good and the price doesn't seem too hefty, but is it capable of handling a few knocks, has any one got one of these and if so are they any good?

Thanks for any help

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I have used several different external HD's and most have been pretty good. One to avoid is anything that has an IBM hard drive. I have had more disasters with IBM drives than any other brand of HD.

3. alan2273

alan2273 I love the Penguin

I have a Belkin USB2 external enclosure which will take an optical or hard drive.
    I brought this because I can put any hard/optical drive in it as it is not fixed to one hard drive, so in the future if I want to stick a bigger hard drive or an optical drive, no problems.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If they still sell IBM disks you should avoid them. :D Especially since the IBM hdd division was bought by Hitachi quite some time ago, so any IBM disks aren't very new. ;)

5. sy64004

sy64004 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I just ordered a 120GB Maxtor one touch from ebay

Sy