External HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jcim05, Dec 29, 2005.

1. jcim05

jcim05 OSNN Junior Addict

I just bought an external HDD from Phantom Drives. It is a Maxtor 279GB drive. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it directly into a USB port. However, when I plug the drive into the USB hub XP, won't read the device. The same situation occurs with my Sony DVD-RW drive. Is there anyway I can use these two drives through the USB hub?

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

sounds like the hub isnt powered. does it plug into a external power device? or just run off usb?

3. jcim05

The hub is powered by a 9v power adapter.

4. VenomXt

does the external plug in and work straight with the usb in the back of the comp?

id imagine that the hub just cant take it. Anyone else opinion? is it a cheap hub?

5. jcim05

The drives have their own power sources and work fine when plugged directly into the laptop. The hub is also powered. When I plug the drives into it neither of them work. The hub is made by Belkin and cost somewhere around $30 USD.

6. VenomXt

does anything work with the hub? thumb drive, mouse, ect?

7. jcim05

thumb drive, mouse, keyboard, mp3, and digital camera all work.

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It should work fine. None of the following suggestions should be necessary but try them anyway:

Try plugging the hub into the same usb port the HD worked in.
    Try connecting the hub to the PC first then the drive to the Hub.
    Try connecting the HD to the Hub first then the Hub to the PC.
    Try power cycling the HD with everything connected.

I had some problems with some PC's not seeing my external drive every time I plugged it in even directly connected.

I would try using my external through my HUB but unfortunately I loaned the drive out. I don't think I ever tried to run the external drive through a HUB.

9. jcim05

I'll try that, thanks.

10. jcim05

After trying that a popup window still comes up saying "USB Device not Recognized".

I even looked on the websit for drivers, but the only think there was usb drivers for windows 98. The drive should be plug and play. Do you think it might be the hub?

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The HUB or an interaction between the hub and the enclosure.

The hub is not providing the hand shake between the PC and the HD Enclosure that passes the plug and play info. It is probably just saying "I'm a HUB".

Did the HUB come with any software. I think an old one I had did.

Also, is it a USB 2.0 Hub? I think I had a problem a while back with a USB 1 Hub not working with some device. Maybe iut was my camera.

I still can't figure out why the Hub works with everything else.

jcim05 likes this.
  12. jcim05

It's a USB 2.0 hub. I tried a different one and it worked fine. I think I must have just lost the software for the hub. I might as well just purchase a new one anyways, the one i have now is over 2 years old.

13. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

From reading over all the information, I think the hub is just somewhat defective. Software shouldn't be required to use it, and if it was, it wouldn't work with the mouse, keyboard, digital camera and everything else.

If the drives work fine plugged into the PC directly, and plugged into another hub, just replace the hub that seems to be defective.

Also, when deciding on a new hub, check to see what your laptop supports. If the laptop only has USB 1.x, a USB 2.0 hub will slow down to that speed.

14. VenomXt

still sounds underpowered to me. but i agree that its defective. :)

15. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That may be the case, but the hub, and all other devices have their own power supplies, so I don't think that is the case. The optical drive and hard drive will pull power from their own power supplies primarily.

16. VenomXt

hehe then i restate that it hink its defective. Can you try it on another computer though?

17. jcim05

I tried the usb hub on my sister's laptop. The same thing occured. Must be defective. Thanks fellas.