ExpressCard uses?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by apu95, Jul 24, 2005.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

Montreal, Canada
    Hey guys...

The laptop listed in my sig I got about 4 mos ago. Its has integrated video thx to the Intel Extreme Video thing and I can play most old games very well (NOLF1 and 2, Diablo 1/2, etc). Anyways, the lappy comes with a PC card slot, and also an ExpressCard slot. So far I haven't seen anything that uses this slot, but I read around and one will be able to put in fast microdrives in there and whatnot. My question is: Would it be possible to make a videocard in ExpressCard format, so as to be able to upgrade the integrated video into something better for today's games?

I realize that the S-Video out and VGA out would be disabled, but I don't really care...would it be actually possible though?

2. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

is it a PCI-E slot? even so I don't think anyone makes PCI-E video cards for laptop yet.
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Upgrading video on laptops about 1-2 years ago was darn near impossible. Certain companies, I know Alienware does it, will sell you the GPU so you can replace it. You wouldn't want to get an expresscard video card, bandwidth would be HORRIBLE.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have also mentioned that slowly, very slowly, it is becoming more and more of an option with other vendors as well.