Explorer freezes in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by idlehand, Dec 7, 2001.

1. idlehand

idlehand Guest

I Recently did a clean install of XP Pro. Everything seemed to go great until I tried to exit out of IE6. It seemed to freeze anything that has to do with explorer. If I let the system sit for about 5-10 mins all the explorer windows the I tried to open, all open up at once. After that all happens my system seems to be fine. So if I reboot my system I have to put up with this problem. Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. idlehand

idlehand Guest

I have all the newest Drivers and Updates from Windows updates.. Still the same problem.

3. idlehand

idlehand Guest

Thanks for the help... Direct X 8.1 comes preloaded with XP. So to answer you question is yes i Have DX8.1 installed.

4. idlehand

idlehand Guest

Its telling me that I have the newest ver of IE6. But I couldnt find the complete download. I downloaded the file on the IE site. Pluse I couldn't find the corporate site either. if you can give me the link to it that would be great.

5. idlehand

idlehand Guest

well According to the Remote install I am up to date. here is the what is listed in my Task Manager.

6. idlehand

idlehand Guest

7. idlehand

idlehand Guest

The 2 you were asking about are my AntiVirus progam. AVP Pro. I tried all that and still the same thing..

8. idlehand

idlehand Guest

I was way ahead of you. Problem is that I am not getting any error codes. Just that Explorer is freezing up.

9. idlehand

idlehand Guest

Yah. No go.. also nothing in the Event Viewer either. The only thing I see is EAPOL service was started successfully. But I cant find out what this is..

10. idlehand

idlehand Guest

Use Win2k Repair Feature? Wouldnt that replace my xp files with the older win2k files?

11. uxrid

uxrid Guest

Re: Ok then... "NEXT..."

I've had the same thing happen on 2 different machines, I fixed one this way:
    In task manager's processes tab, right click on explorer.exe and find out what priority its running in.
    Mine was set too high somehow, so I brought it down to 'normal' and things were fine after that. Or perhaps its set too low?
    Well play with it, maybe it'll help.

-Tim

12. Lactic.Acid

Lactic.Acid Guest

How about your video card & drivers? This can often lead to locking up as you described with no errors at all. Try a different version of video drivers if you can. I know it's totally unrelated to file browsing, but it's possible...incidentally, I'm having similar problems, but mine seem to occur in coordination with access of my SCSI controller.
    /L.A

13. Dodenburg

Dodenburg Guest

Point32 is microsofts Intellipoint software and is listed by them as not comptable with XP. Your mouse will run just fine without it. You probably need to uninstall and reboot your machine, rather than just turn it off in services.

Hope this Helps