Explorer freezes in XP

I

idlehand

I Recently did a clean install of XP Pro. Everything seemed to go great until I tried to exit out of IE6. It seemed to freeze anything that has to do with explorer. If I let the system sit for about 5-10 mins all the explorer windows the I tried to open, all open up at once. After that all happens my system seems to be fine. So if I reboot my system I have to put up with this problem. Any Ideas?

Thanks

I have all the newest Drivers and Updates from Windows updates.. Still the same problem.

Thanks for the help... Direct X 8.1 comes preloaded with XP. So to answer you question is yes i Have DX8.1 installed.

Its telling me that I have the newest ver of IE6. But I couldnt find the complete download. I downloaded the file on the IE site. Pluse I couldn't find the corporate site either. if you can give me the link to it that would be great.

well According to the Remote install I am up to date. here is the what is listed in my Task Manager.

untitled.jpg

The 2 you were asking about are my AntiVirus progam. AVP Pro. I tried all that and still the same thing..

I was way ahead of you. Problem is that I am not getting any error codes. Just that Explorer is freezing up.

Yah. No go.. also nothing in the Event Viewer either. The only thing I see is EAPOL service was started successfully. But I cant find out what this is..

Use Win2k Repair Feature? Wouldnt that replace my xp files with the older win2k files?

Re: Ok then... "NEXT..."

I've had the same thing happen on 2 different machines, I fixed one this way:
In task manager's processes tab, right click on explorer.exe and find out what priority its running in.
Mine was set too high somehow, so I brought it down to 'normal' and things were fine after that. Or perhaps its set too low?
Well play with it, maybe it'll help.

-Tim

How about your video card & drivers? This can often lead to locking up as you described with no errors at all. Try a different version of video drivers if you can. I know it's totally unrelated to file browsing, but it's possible...incidentally, I'm having similar problems, but mine seem to occur in coordination with access of my SCSI controller.
/L.A

Point32 is microsofts Intellipoint software and is listed by them as not comptable with XP. Your mouse will run just fine without it. You probably need to uninstall and reboot your machine, rather than just turn it off in services.

Hope this Helps

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back