excellent antivirus/firewall package

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ElementalDragon, Jun 14, 2003.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Ok, I just got a new laptop to use for notes and stuff when i go to Lincoln Technical Institute. Even though it probably won't be connected to the internet for extended amounts of time like my desktop, what is one of the best anti-virus/firewall bundles available? On the desktop i use McAfee and i like it very much, but i was just wondering if there is anything better than it.

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Would have to be NIS. By the way, my brother went to Lincoln Tech in Chicago.:cool:

3. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I suggest you drop by the security forum and take a read, checkout the Polls and the threads i have liked to at the start of the AV poll.

NIS is a good all round package, if your looking to bundle thats the best option.

But you could save some cash and get Kerio Firewall and AVG 6 which are both free and very functional.

As I say, checkout the security section alot of discussion relating to this topic. :)

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Do any of you think that McAfee is a good choice too? i seem to like it because it seems to do more to protect my computer than Norton does.

5. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

No, ive never really liked McAfee solutions.

In terms of the AV component norton does better than McAfee in testing but both normally pass the VB100 tests (see security forum).

McAfee firewall is also poor IMO, thats not to say its insecure or does not work well its just that i dont like it ;)