EU PS3 Launch Delayed

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by lad_in_brum, Sep 6, 2006.

1. lad_in_brum

lad_in_brum OSNN Addict

It looks like the EU PS3 launch will be delayed untill March 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm

"The launch of Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 games console in Europe has been delayed until March 2007.
    Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's global computer entertainment division, said the machine would still be launched in November in the US and in Japan. "

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Dang, that is one heck of a delay :eek:

Thank god it will still be out in Nov for the US :D

3. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

It seems like every day there's another piece of bad news about Sony. I think they may have had their day in the console market. I used to love them, PS and PS2 were such brilliant consoles, I can only think that complacency has got the better of them. :(

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Woot. More Wii's sold at Christmas in EU then. I'd like if people just gave up on Sony, and Sony themselves just gave up, but it won't happen :(

5. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Why does Europe always get screwed over when it comes to new console launch dates? They always seem to be at the tail end of it. :s

6. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

they get screwed because we wont have riots in the eu over a console delay as there may be in japan or the usa :) haha

i agree and so i still stand by my point and affirm again that the ps3 will not dominate this time round but the xbox 360 will. I think the extortionate price of the ps3 will seriously hamper their sales, plus i bet that MS will lower the xbox 360's price just as the ps3 comes out.

7. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

They are going to feel the wrath of people who buy a crippled lower end version of the PS3. Alot of people are going to be pissed when they find out that they have to buy a high end version to play some of the games later on.

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I might still get mine around xmas if my mate is able to get one from HK. Not too sure whether I'm ready to get one just yet - all depends on reviews once it's on the market on November 17th. :)

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Based on the fact that Sony ALWAYS without fail either delays or restricts supplies of all its hardware to europe, I cant say I'm suprised.

Having said that I cant see why people wont just buy a pc or an xbox 360. Both products both have a clue about what they are trying to be, whereas the ps3 still hasn't decided what it wants to be.

10. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Because not everyone likes the kinds of games that the XBox or PC has (or, for that matter, want to plunk down the kind of cash needed for a gaming PC). But for the gaming public that plays nothing but sports games, generic shooters, and flimsy EA games, then yeah...I guess I don't particularly see a difference either.

Melon

11. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

The average consumer, I'd say, is used to consoles being in short supply. I've never once been prepared to buy a console during the Christmas season (and, indeed, the XBox 360 certainly didn't deliver for Christmas 2005 either); not to mention that most console launch titles are terrible, IMO.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Europe is the most expendable market for video game consoles. They only care about Japan and North America, for better or for worse.

The PS3 may very well fail in the long run, but I also don't believe that success is assured for the XBox 360 either. I haven't been impressed with their gaming titles, and I was never all that impressed with their titles in the last generation either. In the end, I'll be waiting patiently to see which console is most deserving of my money. I like the kind of games that the PS3 has lined up for the future, but if it's a failure, I'm sure the developers will flood Nintendo or something. Since Japan hates the XBox with a passion, I doubt that their game companies will be picking that console. That reason alone means that you can't count the PS3 out yet, despite numerous marketing blunders.

Melon

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I personally prefer the much better RPG, Strategy and Simulation games that the pc has to offer :) (Oh and need for speed :p )

13. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

melon good post, i hadn't thought of japans reluctance regarding the 360.

But bear this in mind, when the ps3 launches it will be to a new generation expecting more and more and now and now.... i think the ps3 has taken way too long and now the hype really isn't there anymore, as the 360 has taken away a lot of its shimmer along with the wii coming out this christmas.

14. falconguard

Here ya go, this is why Sony doesn't care

Attached Files:

15. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Why is canada there?
    Lol Jk

This is good for all us people who gonna sell our ps3's for mucho money, now i can sell it for a lot more :))

16. albybum

albybum Penguin Rancher

They are cutting U.S. shipments in half as well.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540261/20060906/index.jhtml?headlines=true

17. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

All the better :)!

18. falconguard

500,000 for two countries? Dropping the ball already.

19. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

That's simply pathetic, they really have egg on their face with this one.

20. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

What can they **** up next?